1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

storage baskets

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by flynne50, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Yes I know! it's the begining of the holidays and I am thinking about storge for my new classroom! I have changed classrooms this year and have open shelves. I am thinking about using some natural wicker baskets. Please could I have some thoughts and if anyone has some, where did you buy them please? Thank you[​IMG] cheers.

2. Dunelm mill are the cheapest for baskets but are still pricey at between £5 and £20 each.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Clear plastic look fab and are easier than wicker to keep clean. Totally clear, not frosted are brilliant as by seeing things children are able to choose equipment and bits they hadn't thought of.

4. If you can be bothered it's worth a look at car boot sales, I havegot IKEA baskets VERY cheaply as well as hampers which have been great for storing lots of construction in.

L
    X

5. The early excellence centre does some really nice ones and you can now order on line we use ours for books and soft toy characters natural resources and anyhtun g the children like they came in different sizes and prices
    Littlestones

6. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

I have baskets from IKEA and I have also bought from ebay...look in the wholsale job lot area.

7. If you are anywhere near Kent I have just discovered "The Merchant Chandler" shops. There's about 5 or 6 across the county. It's worth Googling to see what's around near you. Personally I think Dunelm are a bit expensive, but I've not been using baskets long enough to make a judgement regarding quality and durability yet!!

8. Thank you everyone for your replies I will definitely have a look at Dunhelm and I am planning some trips to car boot sales in my area ( our lego is looking sparce!). Ooooooh just looked at the Merchant Chandler site lots of choice and delivery reasonable! Thanks again.

9. Totally clear, not frosted are brilliant as by seeing things children
    are able to choose equipment and bits they hadn't thought of.[​IMG]

10. suffolksmiler

suffolksmiler New commenter

Wicker baskets look pretty but can easily get broken. Also catch on clothes. I have plastic boxes, take photos of contents and velcro to the front. If you change the contents then just put new PIC on to the velcro. Much more visual than clip art when tidy up time comes. Hope this helps.

11. Any have any ideas?

I have 10 wicker baskets - about the size of a waste paper bin and I'm not sure what to do with them? They're not really big enough for storage and already have all my construction etc in labelled boxes. What else could I do with these baskets? An activty of some sort or include them in daily routines? Seems a shame for them to go to waste.

Thanks, Rachel [​IMG]

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We've got baskets and they've outlasted the plastic boxes we had previously. We have a picture of the contents on a "luggage label" hanging from the handles

13. Msz

I have small equipment and resources in baskets. Glue sticks, cubes, shells, craft sticks,pom poms ... just about everything.

14. ladybird22

ladybird22 New commenter

love the idea of luggage labels on boxes, my labels are always falling off

15. Msz

Now I need the trugs!!