1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stopping Year 6 from calling out?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ginster, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Ginster

Ginster New commenter

Hi all,

After spending 5 years with Year 2, I've been thrust upstairs to teach Year 6.

I'm enjoying the challenge but seem to have far too many interruptions due to children calling out. With Year 2, I'd remind them about expectations for a week or two, and then the vast majority of children would understand that calling out shouldn't be done.

My Year 6 class seem to be goldfish.

No matter how many times I remind them, the calling out/chatting continues. It might be okay for half a day, a day maximum, and then we're back to square one again.

The calling out can manifest itself in different ways. For example, when I'm teaching, certain children will be discussing the lesson material amongst themselves, rather than paying attention fully.

Another example might be that with any point of interest in teaching, or general day to day chat between myself and the class, there invariably involves a big reaction from many children, followed by discussion amongst themselves, before order can be restored.

Working quietly also seems to be a great challenge for the class as they feel the need to talk about any little thing, even when they should be working independently.

Don't get me wrong, it's not malicious, or unkind in any way. It's mostly exuberance and over-excitement. I just need some tips to best manage this as my current method of management (constantly reminding children of expectations/waiting in silence until they clock on that I'm not happpy) is eating up a lot of the day and is wearing me out!

Many thanks!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Can you change your seating plan? If you sit people in groups, they tend to chat.
    Why are they chatting when you are teaching? Too easy? Too hard? Boring? Clearly it isn't holding their attention, so change it if you can.
    When reminding of the expectation, you need a sterner look and tone than with year 2, or they won't 'get it'.

Other than that you get to the applying consequences.
    One possibility is, each time you stop for a child put their name on a post it out of their sight...they'll all whisper and wonder whose name it was. Add tallies, without speaking or disrupting your lesson. Then at the next break call out those names and they miss that many mins of their break.