1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stopping the arguments!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by alexanderosman, May 16, 2012.

1. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

I've recently taken over a challenging Year 2 class, and while most of the class are lovely, I have four boys who argue constantly. Two of them deliberately wind the other two up, and then they shout and generally cause a lot of fuss. When spoken to they have tantrums like toddlers!
    One of them has had lots of input and is improving, but gets off track because the others' behaviour makes him angry. This child has a reward system which is working well.
    What else can I try? The other three boys are generally angry and reluctant to do anything in class. I know they like cars and Mario Kart, but struggling to think of how to use this to my advantage. I don't want a reward system for these boys because they already gloat about anything "special" they get to the rest of the class and I don't want them to be made any more different from the others.

2. First thing that occurs to me is: Separate them! Disperse them to the four corners of the room. Each on a different table, preferably surrounded by girls or some sensible boys. Well that was a gut reaction. In fairness, what I would probably do is say to them "I am going to trust you to work together with no fighting. If I hear any fussing and arguing on this table, you will have to move apart so that you can work without disturbing each other. You can choose to work together as a team or to be moved." KEEP IT POSITIVE: a move is for the sake of the uninterrupted work which you know they are eager to do. (ha ha) Make a big thing of getting their agreement to these conditions and make each of them say he understands. Then when they start their usual shenanigans and you move them, they can't claim that you're being unfair. After the move, try to flatter them "You're working really well over there, well done" etc, maybe even swallow your scruples and award a sticker or something?

3. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Thanks Axolotlman, but they already sit at completely different tables! They start arguments at any transition time, or across the room/carpet! That's why it's so disruptive. Have been following behaviour policy quite strictly for the last two weeks, but it just means they end up with punishment every day, with no apparent improvement.

4. I teach in y6, so this might not work. I have two boys who are like magnets, but when they are together, they wind each other up, and square up in fights. I have been battling with this all year. They now have a written agreement, saying that they never line up together, are never in the cloakroom together etc. If one is in one area of the playground, the other one doesn't go there and things like that. It is working so far. They know the consequences if one of them breaks the agreement, they lose priveleges. It has put the responsibility back on to them - it might work, it might not. If you want a copy of the agreement, let me know.