1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stopping breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by chicabonita, Jan 1, 2012.

1. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

I know there was a thread on this topic but the search facility never seems to work properly for me (or I am a spanner and can't work it). How do you go about stopping b/feeding? LO isn't enthusiastic about cow's milk and has never had formula (so my feeling is not to bother). She'll be 1 soon and I want to gradually wean her off the breast so that it isn't too traumatic. So far we're starting with her bedtime feed moving downstairs- the idea being that it stops being what sends her to sleep, and she gets used to going back up for a story and then sleeping. But she's as keen as mustard for it, and also for her morning feed. She even tries looking for the boob if she gets a chance, when she's a bit tired or hungry! Any successful stories gratefully received...

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Get someone else to do the bedtime routine for two or three nights. If you can, take yourself away from the situation.

3. chicabonita

OH will willingly take her up for a story and put her down, though it's harder for him to settle her. But how can I get her to switch from having milk from me, to having milk from a cup at night/morning?

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

By not offering her the boob - and the easiest way to do that is to not be there.

5. Probably one feed at a time would be best, perhaps starting in the day when there's less associations for her? You could you try expressing milk, then adding cow's milk to change the ratio over a period of time until it's all cow's milk and she's used to the flavour? Could always just add water - noone needs to have cow's milk in their diet [​IMG]

6. chicabonita

She's been down to 2 feeds since 7 months, apart from recently when she was ill. Unfortunately I never was very good at expressing (over 40 minutes to get less than 5 oz, unless she'd missed a feed and I was engorged) and since going to 2 feeds a day, could extract absolutely nothing myself so I've given away the pump and all the associated paraphernalia. We do want her to keep up her dairy intake and a milky drink at bedtime is nice, isn't it? I was wondering whether to add some vanilla extract to some warm milk and see if she likes that?

7. Mine weaned off the breast fairly easily (at 6/7 months) but there was NO WAY she was going to be having a cup of milk instead of the warm, cuddly boob. So despite her willingness to stop BF, she was a right little s*d about a cup and still to this day has a bottle of milk before bed. It is the only one she has, but it is part of her snuggly nighttime routine and even now the prospect of a cup is not on the horizon. I'm not fussed as she has it all in one and then teeth brushed so not a big problem.
    I guess what I mean is if the option is breastmilk from a boob or cows milk from a cup you may be changing too much at once. Mine drank cows milk ok but won't from a cup even now at 2 years.

8. We have just completed night 3 of no breastfeed before bed! My partner has been bathing our daughter since she was born (she's 13 months now), so we decided he would do the whole bedtime routine for a few nights to see how it went. She has over the last three nights had her bath as usual, cleaned her teeth, pj's on, story, mug of warm milk drunk using a straw and finally bed. I think it's been more difficult for me than it has been for her! So far it is going well, it will be my turn tomorrow night as her daddy is at work, so we'll see how that goes! Good luck with it!