1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stop correspondence! MAT don't want t know...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by cillia, Nov 10, 2018.

1. cillia

cillia New commenter

I think I mentioned on this forum that I had a pupil make a false allegation about me and without even hearing my side, I was asked to leave premises. I was supply through an agency. The school said there would be an investigation. There wasn't any. I contacted the MAT to giving a full account of how and what actually happened in that a miscreant learner decided they wouldn't accept any punishment by me for misbehaving badly being unruly, aggressive etc and breaking the rules over several days and that they were a problem student with a history of bad behaviour. Also I wrote to ask what (if any) outcome there was? As well as this, what data is being held on me regarding this alleged incident. The MAT responded asking what I wanted? I reiterated then the MAT contacted the agency and ask that any correspondence from me stop. I really don't know what message this sends to kids if they take a dislike to a teacher they simply report or concoct some egregious thing and the teacher will be ejected without being told any outcome or looking to solve anything. The teacher is left with a stain on their integrity both actually and psychologically.

tonymars likes this.
  2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You were a supply teacher, employed by an agency.
    Writing to the MAT to say:
    was never going to end in your favour.

What would like to happen?
    Perhaps go through your union and the agency to sort this out, if you are finding it hard to move on?

The school won't do anything, you weren't their employee.

Flanks likes this.
  3. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

From what I recall, you decided to fight a battle over a student supposedly staring at you and lost hard. Every post in response to you told you that you were probably making a mistake in your response, and you doubled down by claiming to have found a psychiatrist or professor of some sort who agreed with you.

To be blunt, your descent into unreasonable or irrational behaviour is well documented on these boards. You either need a new profession or a break.

But what on earth you expected from this latest sally I honestly don't know. The previous school did their job correctly after an allegation was made. Whether the allegation was true or not is actually only semi relevant when you are a supply teacher, and certainly you have little to no right to contact the school directly on the matter.

If you want resolution, you do it through your employer, which was your supply agency. Personally I would be amazed if your agency still sends you work.

sabrinakat and Eflmeister like this.
  4. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Your big mistake is imagining that the MAT or anyone there gives a flying fork.

blazer likes this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Wow-some rather dismissive replies from voices I normally associate with warmer understanding.
    There is lots in OPs story which I have seen commented on in other threads with more sympathy-I'm not sure what I am missing.
    splitting it up,OP presents the following issues-
    they have lost their income stream at short notice
    there has been a pupil allegation to which the school have reacted without hearing her side
    the school stated there would be an investigation
    OP wishes to know what files the school are retaining on her.
    Each of these is a tough nut in its own right, so to deal with all four together is not really deserving of short shrift.
    In terms of income, you need to worry about a reference, which in all honesty is going to be an ask both from the school and from the agency. The former are not obligated to provide one, and the latter will not be able to give a decent one by their own policies, unless the school gives them a note to say all was in order. This ought to be your focus, rather than pursuing the school.
    If you can get round that somehow, then you need to sign up with a number of agencies and get back in there. We all need to earn a crust.
    If you want to know if the school hold information on you, it is entirely understandable. It is part of the mind games which happen after student allegations-they told you they would act somehow, and you feel your career is threatened.
    However, trust me, it is the reference which is more important.
    Wait until you have secured more work some place else, then you can try to request the same from them, but in your request, state that you understand new GDPR regulations do not require you to issue any special form or fee to gain that information-they simply have to say either "here it is" or "we hold nothing". They should not be contacting your agency asking you to refrain from contact if the contact is specifically to request what info they have on you.
    I actually expect them to hold nothing, but from your perspective, you hold a memory of them stating they would investigate, so you need to hear it from them.
    But just make sure you choose the right time.

JohnJCazorla, cillia and agathamorse like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

That may previously have been true, but that is absolutely not correct any more-it's a big change with the latest GDPR regs, that if information may be held on you, then you may specifically and directly request it. There is no third party requirement for agency staff. Info on self, request made by self, very straightforward.
    If it were a different sort of request, say "has anybody found a green bag with a pencil case in it?" then yes, it would be through the agency if relations had thus broken down, but the very specific question "do you hold info on me?" is now a clear cut and legal entitlement for the OP.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  7. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

You are off course correct.

In this particular circumstance, I would still say to do it through the agency. Particularly as in theory the agency should be in possession of any information from the allegation which could effect their ability to place a teacher. It would be a far cleaner way to gain the information without inflaming the situation further.

8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah-true.
    Tsk-bothers me when somebody is confronted by the shart reality of poor behaviour and supply teaching. If you're used to these things then you can strategise moving on from a mess, but if you're not used to them, it's easy to become embroiled in injustice and confrontation rather than focus on fresh income streams.

9. cillia

cillia New commenter

I asked the agency again to speak to the MAT to clarify things... Thus far they remained silent but now they contacted me regarding their request from me to give a status update. They sent the gist of this:

"Your agency has indicated that you require a written notice from us. After speaking to the Principal I can confirm that the school is not taking any further action in relation to the matter, and consider it to be closed. We would kindly ask that you refrain from any further communications with us in relation to this matter."

I thanked my agency - They are happy to re-hire me or at least that's what they've said. (but not at the place where the alleged incident occurred). I have been put forward for other positions by them but nothing yet.

I am upset that this should have gone down like it did and that this kind of disgusting pupil behaviour is allowed to go unpunished or even unrecognised but there we are. All who I have mentioned it to are also disgusted and mildly shocked this goes on.

I do not know what information they hold on me and I may apply for a position in one of the MAT's 50+ places of learning either directly or through a.n .other agency only to be reminded of the incident years later.

I also realise life isn't always fair and what goes around doesn't always come around.

Thank you sbk

agathamorse and JohnJCazorla like this.