1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stonking good poems for year 9

Discussion in 'English' started by aliek, Jan 5, 2008.

1. I am really, really stuck on this. Have loads of ideas for year 8 but can't think of any brilliant poems for year 9s... I have TWO year nine groups and want to engage them as much as possible while still attempting to prepare them by helping them gain good poetry reading skills for next year.

Any suggestions of poems gratefully received!

2. I am really, really stuck on this. Have loads of ideas for year 8 but can't think of any brilliant poems for year 9s... I have TWO year nine groups and want to engage them as much as possible while still attempting to prepare them by helping them gain good poetry reading skills for next year.

Any suggestions of poems gratefully received!

3. I usually choose a couple from the anthology they will study in year 10. They do a comparative essay, which they know is a piece of c/w (they get really excited aboutthis!!). I use it as a bridging unit, where they can spend the first couple of weeks in Y10 redoing their essay for their folder (must admit bot my idea my HOD's) seems to work and I use GCSE marking criteria - discuss this with the pupils, they really get into it when they know it is GCSE work.

4. Thanks so much both of you..

Vshell: Brilliant ideas, thankyou. It makes sense to do a couple of the poems they will be reading next year, also like the idea of the comparative essay.

pheobe14: Love the poem suggestions-I remember doing these at school but had forgotten about them til now. Huge thankyous.

5. vshell, when you go through the GCSE marking criteria do you use the actual ones or a pupil-friendly version?

6. Aliek I show them both.

for every pc of c/w I give them the pupil friendly version which they glue into their books - no excuse for not knowing what they had to do to achieve that grade!!

I show them (on IWB) the teachers marking criteria so that they know that I have strict guidelines to adhere to and that there is no hidden criteria

Does that make sense - I'm sooooo tired.

V

7. Sorry I posted before I finished my sentence.

Vshell I also like your idea of a comparative essay -

Do you allow your pupils to redo this as a final piece in Y10 - How many times is the legal to redo/mark coursework

LadyM