1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stollen

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by jonkers, Nov 23, 2011.

1. jonkers

jonkers New commenter

I don't want to be cynical but, having experienced this with my two, your options are pretty limited to ............. pizza or pizza or pizza, or, perhaps pizza. There is really not enough time to do anything meaningful and food tech teachers seem obsessed with ......... pizza.
    They love pizza. The students can waste many happy hours designing pizza boxes, designing pizza toppings, costing pizza ingredients, working out the nutritional values of ....... pizza. Then the food techies can pretend that their subject is academic and on a par with say, physics, in a way that Home Economics teachers never did in the past.

2. henriette

henriette New commenter

1hour
    yes .... or bring things home to bake

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I get the impression (from my own school) that the focus of the pizza lessons is the toppings and healthy choices, not the dough.
    A has been told she may choose (and design) a dough product of her choice, and as she loves stollen ...................................

4. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

You can make dough rise faster by the addition of ascorbic acid tabllets (available from chemists, or they used to be!) Dough will rise in half the time. The bread flour I buy here already has it added and it makes lighter, springier dough in much faster time.
    Failing that, could she make something like a Fougasse instead ? I only ever give them one rise so can be made quickly.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

She could make the dough at home the night before, plastic bag in the fridge overnight and take into school the next day, leave in the fridge till the lesson.

6. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

What temperature do you bake yours at? It's possible she could bake in a hotter oven as most of the others will be using ovens at 200C and there's probably only 8 ovens shared between 20+ pupils!! 1 class I had there were 28 pupils to use 8 cookers, nightmare!

She could make an individual size stollen as this would bake much quicker. (Years of thinking ways round problems as a Food teacher) I think that's the best way, still make the dough the night before.