1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stockpiling stamps

Discussion in 'Personal' started by shy anne, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Has anyone else bought a load of stamps to stock up before the price increase at the end of the month? I admit that I have!! I bought 100 2nd class stamps and 24 1st class stamps which I reckon will last me at least two years as I tend mainly to use stamps at Christmas and the odd birthday.
    The Post Office are now restricting the number of stamps that retailers can buy before the price hike - saying that it will stop unscrupulous retailers buying cheap and selling at the higher price next month. But they also want to stop the general public from bulk buying but surely they should have thought of that before they have a months notice of the price increase!!

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Yes I have started to 'stockpile' but in a small way. Don't think I will send so many Christmas cards this year.

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Save trees and send egreetings cards instead. You can "book" them all to be sent on the appropriate date and then forget about them. Also means that recipient doesn't have to worry about throwing away your beautiful card.

4. Not a good idea for my relatives who do not have computers!!

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I don't send enough letters/cards for it to be much of an issue for me, however, I can't really understand the outrage shown by some people. I know it's a huge increase, but you have to consider the expenses of the Royal Mail - massive petrol price increases will be having a huge impact on the amount it costs to send a letter, for instance.
    Businesses, schools and individuals who send a LOT of mail will just have to be intelligent about it and use the technology available to them to deliver messages to customers, parents etc. Schools, for instance, could be using a Twitter or Facebook feed to deliver important messages; a online text message service and an email system will also reduce the costs of sending lots of letters - not to mention save tons of paper!
    Christmas cards are a nightmare, of course, especially if you have lots to send.
    But then again....there's always second class....

6. MarilynDan

MarilynDan New commenter

Yep, I've spent £1,500 on 2,000 large letter stamps and may buy more next week if I can steel myself for the outlay. Last year I only spent half of that but the hike this time is huge so doing it this way I at least save £300 :)
    I fully appreciate the distances involved in the delivery of some letters/packages but I do not appreciate the number of packages I send out each year which have to be re-sent because Royal Mail have 'lost' them. Two went missing last month and contrary to what Gems International say, they are never returned to me (as sender) even though they are correctly addressed and have my full address on the back. Neither (because of the nature of what I sell) can I recoup anything other than raw material costs from them which, come to think of it I've never bothered to do in the past but may well start doing since the stamps will cost me 90p each from next month.

Gems International and I are not the best of friends.

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

In all honesty, I don't have to stockpile stamps.
    Most of my mail is electronic theses days.
    At Christmas I think I will be allowed to buy stamps at today's proce.....I am disabled....actually I will probably be able to buy a few more than I will actually use...maybe I could sell them on - make a few pence on the deal!

8. dozymare1957

Bethannie, does your disability allow you to buy stamps at a lower price than other people? I have a disabled son, can he get a deal on stamps?

9. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

When the price increase was announced, there was a statement made that certain groups would be allowed to buy stamps inthe run-up to Christmas at the cheaper rate.
    I am on DLA (Disability Living Allowance) and have been told that I will get a letter before Christmas which I can take to the main Post Office and be permitted to buy a set number of stamps at today's rate. (I don't know how many they'll allow each person to buy).....As far as I know people on Pension Credit will get the same offer roo.
    I have no idea why my disability should entitle me to get cheaper stamps! But I am not going to complain!...If your son is on DLA then he may well be entitled to the cheaper stamps at Christmas (I'm not sure how it works for children with disabilities...I'll see if I can find ou!)

10. dozymare1957

Thanks for the info Bethannie. My son is 19 and is on DLA so I guess the letter will arrive for him too. It does seem a strange one but never look a gift horse in the mouth as they say.