1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stockpiling food for Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jan 11, 2019.

1. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I mentioned them because the OP was about supermarkets (as instructed by the government) stockpiling. Some other people have mentioned getting a few extra tins in but nobody has tried to persuade other people to do it in a way that would inspire disorder.
    I don't know of anyone who is doing this.

2. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

There is a preppers forum on mumsnet. Part of the prep involves deciding which of their neighbours they are going to help. e.g. an elderly resident who wants your food might have good knowledge of the local area, such as where sources of fresh water could be found. They get food because they are useful. Feckless non-preppers who aren't of any use get nothing. If you know who the preppers are, rest assured they will know who you are and you will have been assessed in advance.

InkyP, nomad and magic surf bus like this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

How many billions have now been wasting preparing for something that won't happen?

That's money wasted on some thing that won't happen

It's criminal

What an utter, utter shambles.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  4. Scintillant

Being in an economic union, customs union and single market.

It's sort of the point of it all.

FrankWolley likes this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Wow - Mad Max meets Mumsnet, what a surreal concept. I'd better get my Lord Humungous gear dusted down and ready.

[​IMG]

sparklesparkle and nomad like this.
  6. Scintillant

Has it not crossed your mind why everyone is panicking about how we will get lots of vital things into the country once we leave? And why leaving the EU might make it harder to get things into the UK?

I presume you don't need further explanation.

7. sparklesparkle

I'm scared to ask what use you will put yourself to, dressed in that get-up...

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I'm alright I know where the river is.

9. magic surf bus

I'm more than a little scared myself, given that Mumsnet preppers would be involved. Mind you, I do know a few local fresh water sources so maybe they'd spare me the odd tin of beans. :)

10. sparklesparkle

You need to turn up at their door in a Mr Humungous costume. magic surf bus just raised the bar.

magic surf bus likes this.
  11. magic surf bus

On the subject of fresh water sources, I bought an electronic PH tester the other day (as you do) and a water quality tester came with it.

Out of idle curiosity I sampled four water sources around the house:

1. Water butt draining from the house roof
    2. Water butt draining from the conservatory roof
    3. Bottled mineral water
    4. The cold water tap

Guess which one tested as the purest?

2. Water butt draining from the conservatory roof

12. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    You really should take more water with it!

That is quite the most absurd, divorced from reality thing I have read about Brexit - its right up there with "£350Million a week"

13. SirPurrAlot

SirPurrAlot Established commenter

He’s just repeating what the BBC’s Laura Kuenssberg thinks will happen. It’s becoming an increasingly widely held view at present. Some MP on the radio has just re-stated it.

woollani likes this.
  14. Scintillant

What goes well with squirrel?

Asking for a friend.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Nutloaf?

magic surf bus, smoothnewt and nomad like this.
  16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

17. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

a friend of mine is involved in the civilian emergency planning in a well known port town. After what she heard, she is planning to bring her children to stay with me if there is any sign of problems, either in the immediate afterrmath, or further down the line. She told their head she was intending to take them out of school if she was worried, and he told her that other parents were planning the same thing, and that he would be most likely leaving with his children himself.

18. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Heard from whom? Did she hear Jean-Marc Puissesseau, President Chairman of the ports of Boulogne and Calais on Radio 4's Today programme this week?

He said there will be no queues in Dover because the French will not be exerting additional controls over exports following Brexit. We will not control the exports, only asking the papers already, the custom declaration, that’s all! “the trucks will be passing as they are doing today” through his ports.​

Still, what would he know? ;)

woollani and nomad like this.
  19. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I never claimed it was my own suggestion. In fact, I specifically said that I was merely agreeing with the Kuenssberg (who is hardly a supporter of Brexit):
    https://community.tes.com/threads/well-done-those-mps.785290/page-2#post-12713082

woollani likes this.
  20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

You Brexit types (I know you're there) should only be stockpiling British foods or you are being hypocritical. **** a leekie soup ok, minestrone not, baked beans ok, red kidney beans not, minced beef ok, chilli con carne not. Get the gist?

PS Whats wrong with male chicken soup?

FrankWolley likes this.