1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stockpiling food for Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jan 11, 2019.

1. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

There's that thing again - british produce coming into season just as brexit happens, so everything will be ok. Almost as if it had been planned that way.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  2. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Plenty of young, fit, single unemployed in this country.

3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I must admit that we have started building up our stocks of canned and dried food. I also have a very uneasy feeling about public disorder if, or probably when, we have a disorderly Brexit. I remember the poll tax riots thirty years ago and I think things are perhaps as volatile, if not more so these days. We only need a bit of disruption to food supplies, medicines or the transport system for those of an anarchist or criminal nature to stir up trouble and rioting. Look at the riots across the country in 2011 in response to the police shooting of Mark Duggan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_England_riots

I've been up to my local Wickes to get some cheap decking boards and a nail gun so that if the worst comes to the worst I can board up the house quickly. Call me paranoid or scaremongering but if Brexit goes t *ts up and public order breaks down, I want to be prepared. The Police forces in the country have been run down so much that they're likely to be overwhelmed fairly early on in any disorder and we may see troops on the streets, not that there's many of them these days.

Here's hoping for the best but preparing for the worst.

emerald52 and magic surf bus like this.
  4. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

There will be shortages if people stockpile.

There will be a breakdown in public order if you prep weapons along with your tins of beans.

This won't be caused by Brexit. It will be caused by social media scaremongering and weak human nature.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

As I posted earlier, anyone ever read 'Noah's Castle' by John Rowe Townsend or remember Southern TV's drama series??

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

This!

Absolutely!!

sparklesparkle likes this.
  7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Do you really not understand that MPs have to be convinced that No Deal could happen if they don't vote for the Withdrawalb Bill, and that the EU has to be convinced that it could happen if they don't come up with a way to avoid the Irish border problem . Have you never played poker?

8. sparklesparkle

Wow, was this really a kids' TV programme? I can't imagine anything like that being allowed to invade their safe space now. Nor can I imagine anything of such high quality.

nomad likes this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That is true, but the reason why I asked you to name 326 MPs whose preference is for no deal (and I notice you couldn't even manage to name one), is because none prefer no deal - and they know full well that that's what we'll get it if they don't decide on something else, which they will.

The most likely scanario is that parliament will vote down the EU Withdrawal Agreement on Tuesday. The EU will then remove the Irish backstop (the only part of the agreement to which anyone has any serious objection), most probably by giving a written guarantee (as I have explained before) to prevent it ever being triggered, and parliament will then be asked to vote again.

If, and I think it unlikely, the agreement still doesn't pass, Labour will call a no confidence vote. The DUP will desert the Tory party because the only likely alternative (No Deal) will cross their deepest red line. A General Election would need an extension of A.50, which would just be possible before the European Elections. There is not enoutgh parliamentary support for another referendum, and in any case the 27 would be very reluctant to disrupt the May elections by allowing a 6-9 month extension for a referendum.

I see no likelihood of No Deal for the simple reason that nobody wants it - not even by default.

Still, stockpile away - after all, it sounds good, you clearly seemed convinced that you need to do it and it probably does no harm unless so many are conned by the idea that it creates shortages.

10. border_walker

border_walker Lead commenter

Or in many cases just improve mechanisation.

woollani likes this.
  11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Not if people buy a few extra tins each shopping trip, some people have been doing this for a while. There will certainly be problems if people wait until 28th March and everybody tries to do it at once.

I don't think anyone here has suggested doing that. I can imagine fights in the supermarkets, though, if people that believed everything was going to be fine are fighting over the last loaf.

That doesn't mean it won't happen.

12. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That is what Mike Ashley is planning to do at SportsDirect in Shirebrook apparently. So all those who voted Out to get rid of the Eastern Europeans who currently work there still won't get the zero hours, less than minimum wage carp jobs there.

13. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Win win!

14. sparklesparkle

This isn't a comment directed at you personally but I wonder how the preppers voted.

If you are angry about leaving the EU, the prepping/civil disorder message is a good way to spread disruption and get your own back.

15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Set in Britain during a chaotic period of economic and social decline, NOAH'S CASTLE is a frightening tale of the near future. Hyperinflation and lawlessness prevail. Everyday life is rife with hardship and desperation. The story follows the Mortimer family and their fight to survive chronic food shortages and the riots of a ruined country. The patriarch of the family, Norman Mortimer moves his family to a mansion in need of restoration in the countryside and secretively begins fortifying the cellar to hoard supplies. Will their new shelter become a target? Can they fend off a population of looters gone mad in desperation?

nomad likes this.
  16. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Just what we've been doing.

InkyP likes this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The French have had more practice at that little game...

sparklesparkle likes this.
  18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The OP was about supermarkets stockpiling food, do you think supermarkets are trying to spread disruption and encourage disorder?

19. sparklesparkle

I think they're trying to sell us more food.

lanokia and schoolsout4summer like this.
  20. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Yay Brexit.

upload_2019-1-11_17-1-18.jpeg

sodalime and nomad like this.