1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stockpiling food for Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I have wondered whether to put some tins away. I normally, in freezer and tins, have about two to four weeks stuff that I could live on if I had to. Now that the price wars are on, I have wondered whether to go a bit nuts with tins, but I hope it is all scaremongering. But hey, this is now yet another Brexit thread.

sodalime likes this.
  2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

But why would they do that if "no deal" is off the table? Either the EU deal will be accepted, in which case things carry on as they do at present for at least two years, or Brexit is cancelled, in which case things carry on as they do at present for the foreseeable future, or the UK asks for an extension of A.50, in which case things still carry on as they do at present.

The only thing that would cause lorries to get "parked up waiting for customs clearance" is the decision to have no deal. That was never anyone's choice, and now parliament has made such an outcome virtually impossible. The only thing that could now cause a "no deal" scenario would be parliament (not the government, but parliament) deciding to go on holiday for the next 3 months and have nothing more to do with Article 50.

But ONLY if there is no deal. That scenario, which was never very likely, is now virtually impossible. There is huge parliamentary opposition to it. Not even Rees-Mogg wants it as his first choice.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  3. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

A lot of attention has focused on problems that Dover is likely to face, but that isn't our only port. Locations for lorry parks are being sought all over the place. Take this for example: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-46793341

border_walker likes this.
  4. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

What's the worst that could happen if you put a few tins by? If it all works out perfectly (unlikely I think) you will not have to buy those things later as long as you are buying things you like and will actually eat.

Rott Weiler, sodalime and FrankWolley like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Brexit hasn't happened yet. Anything else your crystal ball tells you we should know about?

Brexit itself was just about impossible before it happened.

Yet, still stockpiling is happening.
    You like to dish it out but can't take it. You either willfully or ignorantly misunderstood my earlier comments.

FrankWolley likes this.
  6. florian gassmann

Don't be silly. It was always close, as the polls indicated (even if most did show a small lead for remain).

I'm sure it is. You are already demonstrating that some people are not keeping up with the news.

Instead of ranting on and on like Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells, tell us how you imagine a decision of No Deal will come about in the next 12 weeks. Do you think, for example, that some 328 MPs will suddenly decide that they want to damage the UK economy. Do you think the DUP will vote for a hard border in Ireland? Do you think that the various amendments, both past and planned, to prevent a "no deal" will suddenly be overturned by some sort of dictator?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  7. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

Yes quite right. IF there is no hard BREXIT.
    Whilst I agree that moves in the UK parliament have been designed it make it harder, so less likely, it still cannot be ruled out absolutely, so remains on the list of doomsday scenarios to be planned for. Before you start yelling "Project Fear" take a breath and keep perspective. No one is saying that we'll starve etc etc, life will go on. It is however sensible to at least think about what you should do. I'll make sure I have a non-empty store cupboard, but I'm not about to go mad. Just being prudent. You do as you please.

Yes of course, but if you re-route lorries you will need all sorts of logistics disruption t be planned and accounted for. The link i quoted above mentions that just half an hour delay (whether due to customs or being re-routed) will have significant economic impacts on some hauliers.

8. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

By accident.
    May's deal gets voted down, parliament fails to agree on a way forward, the EU doesn't grant an extension since they consider it is only being asked for to "re-open negotiations" rather than for time to" execute a democratic process" about the deal on the table.

sodalime likes this.
  9. florian gassmann

Out of our 650 MPs, could you name the 326 who would vote for no deal? My difficulty is that I cannot fine one, let 326.

Yes, if they all went on holiday for 12 weeks after Tuesday's vote, and did nothing more, the default would be no deal. But in reality, such a scenario would lead to a vote of no confidence in the government and a general election - and the Turkeys are not going to start voting for Christmas as they know they wouldn't win.

10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

A major terrorist incident could prevent parliament from sitting.
    An outbreak of bubonic plague inside the Houses of Parliament might get it closed down
    An act of God smites the Tories.

11. Mangleworzle

Do you understand this is about the reasons for stockpiling? Not to avoid starvation, but to continue supply and prevent price rises.

Despite your attempt at deflection and trying to talk down to me - nothing changes.

12. florian gassmann

Why would supplies be delayed and prices rise when there is now virtually zero chance of a no deal?

Well, it would be nice if you could explain how this "no deal" will come about when no MP wants it and parliament has made it almost impossible. Sadly, though, I think you may prefer personal insults to logical debate.

13. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

You over-estimate my political clout in these matters: I am not in a position to "allow" anything.
    Are you suggesting forced labour in Lincolnshire, perhaps?

14. Mangleworzle

Do you follow the news?

Up to 4,000 civil servants are being asked to abandon their day jobs to work on no-deal Brexit preparations under plans being rolled out across Whitehall.

Sadly I think you prefer to ride around on your high horse than to find out what is going on the world and attempt to debate by following what is being said than what you imagine.

15. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

No one has to vote for "no deal" it is the default position of what will happen by automatic operation of UK and EU law on 29th March, unless there is a "deal" before then. Mandating that "no deal - hard brexit" is impossible is not within the gift of the UK parliament alone The EU also have a say.

After two year negotiating the only soft-brexit deal on offer is May's, and that is widely expected to be voted down and rejected next week.

If that vote goes as expected, then the UK parliament has to agree on the way forward (from a range of ideas of varying degrees of wishful thinking varying from no-brexit to hard brexit via norway canada any number of + signs and referendum2).

Once they have (implausibly) reached a majority view they THEN have to persuade the EU to accept one of them or at least re-open deal discussions.

The EU have already said that they will not do this as they have already discussed for 2 years. Just about the only three options they WOULD accept, because they can be implemented now are No Brexit (see ECJ ruling), May's deal soft Brexit or Hard Brexit.
    The former would require formal primary legislation, no doubt under an emergency timetable, in the UK parliament followed by a letter to the EU withdrawing Art50.

Doubt Corbyn could win a no-confidence vote, and if he did, someone would have to ask for a pause in Art50 before dissolving parliament AND put back the UK law leaving day deadline (a minister of the crown can do this, no vote needed). The EU would pause the Art50, process just long enough for him to be elected before presenting him with the need to ratify May's deal (hurried re-titled "Corbyn's deal" by then). A UK GE solves nothing to do with Brexit.

As for the ways Turkey's vote.... well they did vote for Brexit, didn't they? Personally I prefer Goose.

You omitted an outbreak of terminal common sense.

sodalime likes this.
  16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Love the cricketing analogies. :D

FrankWolley likes this.
  17. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

I am suggesting that our country's unemployed are closer to the fields of Lincoln than the unemployed in Latvia. Common sense suggests we employ them in preference to expecting people travel here from abroad. Furthermore our economy benefits through savings on social security. I'm sure that farmers on Latvia have need of seasonal Labour too. Into the bargain our carbon footprint diminishes.

border_walker likes this.
  18. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

To answer the OP: I expect I'll start freezing and hoarding. Surreptitiously.

magic surf bus, nomad and InkyP like this.
  19. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

First rule of prepping. Don't tell anyone you're prepping ;).

20. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Distance is only one factor (but a significant one). Try reading the rest of post #30.