1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stockpiling food for Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

4% or 1.3 million. Enough to pick beans.

2. Timothy_Blue

Don't you want to take every opportunity to reduce our carbon footprint?

3. Timothy_Blue

Preston and Carlisle are closer to Lincoln than Albania or Lithuania.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Not if they:

• Don't live near the fields;
    • Are physically unable to do so (due to age, disability)
    • Have parental/caring responsibilities meaning that they can only work certain hours;
    NB A fair number of those out of work are, in fact, changing jobs or taking a short time out of work and so won't be available come the harvesting season; they may well also be well qualified and not prepared to do that sort of work.

monicabilongame likes this.
  5. Timothy_Blue

1. See above.
    2.Same applies to migrants.
    3. ditto.
    A condition of benefits is that you don't turn down work for 'this' reason.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Given that a No Deal Brexit is now almost certainly not going to happen, why on earth do you think that prices would rise? I know the Common agricultural policy is weird, but not even the EU wants to put their farmers out of business by wrecking one of their main markets.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I was replying to the hysteria and platitudes of "no-one will starve" which no-one has said.

Why on earth would you try to give any other impression?

8. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I don't know how good the memories are of those of us who grew up in the years prior to EU membership, but mine is that of inferior produce in the winter months and only a fraction of that to which we've now become accustomed to all year long.

I realise the world has changed a lot in terms in terms of the foods we now enjoy that is only partly due to EU membership, but I can't imagine anyone will be happy to revert to the diets we had in 1970 when we were more self-sufficient than we now are.

Andy_91 and monicabilongame like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

border_walker likes this.
  10. FrankWolley

A lot you (don't) know, it seems...

A lot of migrants who work in the agricultural sector come specifically to do the seasonal work - they live near the work (often put up by their employer), are single or leave their families behind, and are (obviously) young and physically fit: so none of my points are, in fact, a problem for them. The same would not be true for a family man/woman living 50 or more miles away, or a single parent with children, or someone in their later 50s/60s...

So again, as usual, you miss the point.

11. FrankWolley

towncryer likes this.
  12. zondacat

zondacat New commenter

What about Jaffa cakes?

13. florian gassmann

So, are you now saying that prices won't rise by the percentages you listed?

woollani likes this.
  14. florian gassmann

Why would such a reversion happen? Nobody wants a "no deal". Are you suggesting that the EU will act to wreck the incomes of their farmers and force a situation in which they lose business by having to pay tariffs?

15. Timothy_Blue

True to form Mr Wolley. When you have lost the argument, froth, rage and insult.

16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Do you really need me to take you by the hand and walk you through the discussion in order to follow it?

I'm not saying they won't as I don't know. You don't know either as fyi Brexit hasn't happened yet.

Stockpiling (the topic of this thread) is about continuing supply and avoiding price rises. It isn't about threatened starvation as some seem to think. It is sufficiently serious a threat for major companies to take concrete steps to stockpile.

The platitudes of some bloke on the internet clearly aren't sufficient for them to do nothing, however certain you are that you are correct about everything.

17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Perhaps you should suggest one of the (original) Frank Wolley's quotes for advice. Maybe "I was not depressed when they got me out. I have always taken my dismissals as part of the game."

18. dleaf12

dleaf12 Lead commenter

Surely the point here is about disruption and timing. At the moment a lot of our food etc is imported from the EU. Thus it is NOT standing in the fields of the UK waiting to be harvested by anyone.

If the Lorries are getting parked up waiting for customs clearance, or aren't even setting out while the exporters are arranging, and paying for, their customs carnet's (something they will never have had to do before), then there will be a (temporary) interruption to the flow of stuff.

https://www.dmg-freight.com/what-does-no-deal-brexit-mean-for-hauliers/

This is a haulage company, not a political "Project Fear" organisation. They expect temporary disruption to the flow of goods and some bankruptcies among haulage firms.

Yes we could start growing our own etc or buying from elsewhere, but arranging that takes time (anything from a few weeks to a whole growing season), and meanwhile the shelves will be empty.

Once the flow resumes, then any extra costs will surely be passed on to the end user.

Meantime I've got a few tins put by.

sodalime, InkyP and Mangleworzle like this.
  19. florian gassmann

But I do know that parliament has now made a no deal Brexit just about impossible.

Instead of descending to the level of those who are simply rude to others because they are unable to debate in an adult fashion, why not try to follow the news and understand what has happened in parliament in the last few days?

20. FrankWolley

If the great Frank was served up dross such as some posters here offer, wides & long hops especially, he'd be doing as I have - dismissing them to the boundary with contempt.