1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stockpiling food for Brexit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BelleDuJour, Jan 11, 2019.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

So, on tellybox this morning an article on how some supermarkets are stockpiling long shelf life foods just incase post Brexit we enter a famine of biblical proportions!
    W T F????
    Some eejit said we import 'almost all' our fruit and veg.
    Poppyc0ck!
    We shall not starve.
    But if we cannot import French beans from Kenya via Europe let's eat seasonal fruit and veg grown by UK farmers.
    I/we do not need food flown, out of season, a bazillion miles around the world, via Europe, to feed us.
    The ports and airports will not grind to a halt overnight.
    The supermarket shelves will not be empty...............unless, of course, the Beast from the East returns the day we leave the EU.
    What is it with this mentality in the UK that anything slightly not quite the norm causes mob madness and the emptying of shelves the like of which one would only expect if Armageddon approaches, not us sticking two fingers up to the EU?

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

knitone and monicabilongame like this.
  3. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

What's 'in season' at the moment? I'm not harvesting anything out of my garden at the moment apart from some rather disappointing parsnips.

InkyP and monicabilongame like this.
  4. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

It is called panic mongering, there is much money in it and of course political direction;)

5. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

They are dutifully doing their bit for Project Fear, but nobody has told them that the chances of a No Deal Brexit are now rather less than the chance of Jean-Claude Juncker replacing Theresa May at No.10.

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Apples, Beetroot, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Celeriac, Celery, Chicory, Jerusalem Artichokes, Kale, Leeks, Mushrooms, Onions, Parsnips, Pears, Spring Greens, Spring Onions, Squash, Swedes, Turnips.

(Things like Apples keep for at least 3 months if properly stored - we still have a lot wrapped in newspaper and stored in our garage in free mushroom crates, given away by many pizza shops)

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

This has some interesting information
    https://www.countryfile.com/news/can-the-uk-feed-itself-after-brexit/
    for example
    upload_2019-1-11_9-20-55.png

upload_2019-1-11_9-21-39.png
    UK is over 40% self-sufficient in indigenous Fruit supply and this is increasing. However the nation is less than 60% self-sufficient in Vegetable & Salads supply and this is declining.
    source: http://britishgrowers.org/british-growing/

Do we know though, how a shortage in one area will impact on a greater demand of another (homegrown) product or how long it might take to alter production avoid shortages.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    lexus300 likes this.
  8. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Established commenter

You need to brush up on your gardening skills Mr Fair.

9. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

You missed out potatoes.

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Wild food, like rabbit, wood pigeon, squirrel, hare, fish, licensed hunting of course.

BelleDuJour and woollani like this.
  11. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I've got 6 months supply of Jammy Dodgers stockpiled so I'm alright.

12. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

80% of our food and drink is imported according to one report. Suggesting that things get slightly skewed by items that are put together here but contain imported goods (tea bags for example being shown as British, although tea isn't grown here). It also identifies possible problems with labour force to transport the food around the country - https://www.businessinsider.com/no-...tish-food-imported-shortages-2019-1?r=UK&IR=T

13. Timothy_Blue

An opportunity to reduce our carbon footprint by reducing imports .

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I shall be ok. My attic is stuffed with stockpiled toilet rolls from the Great Bog Paper Scare of 1973, sugar from the 1974 Sugar Shortage, jars of Taster's Choice from the Coffee Crisis of 1976 and several packets of Mothers' Pride from the 1977 Bakery Workers' Strike, although some of it may have gone off by now.

I also have a couple of crates of black market corned beef from 1940.

Anyone ever read 'Noah's Castle' by John Rowe Townsend or remember Southern TV's drama series??

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  15. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It's nothing to do with anyone starving and everything to do with prices and supply.

We spend about half of much of our weekly budget on food as we did decades ago and have become accustomed to having what we want when we want it, we currently have the cheapest food in Europe.

It would be an extremely clear indication of the effects of Brexit if the weekly food bill started to rise by 10, 20, 30, 40, 50+% and/or certain things were not on the shelves any more or just occasionally and then sold out quickly.

It's nothing to do with Dunkirk spirit, growing your own, making do etc. and everything to do with unnecessary disruptions to people's way of life. The political fall-out from a big price increase would be interesting and I suspect this along with supply might change the playing field for some supermarkets depending who could get what, how much and at what price.

towncryer, InkyP and monicabilongame like this.
  16. Timothy_Blue

Like I said. Let's embrace this opportunity to reduce our carbon footprint and tackle the effects of man-made climate change. Never mind the costs:=)

border_walker likes this.
  17. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Lead commenter

That's a great idea in principle but is there anyone left to do the harvesting? I think they've all gone home.
    :confused:

18. Timothy_Blue

Instead of exploiting migrants we can exploit our own inhabitants (We still have many unemployed), or is it the case that you couldn't bring yourself to allowing that?

BelleDuJour and border_walker like this.
  19. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Do we have many unemployed? Are many of those currently unemployed actually likely to be able (geographically, or physically) to be able to do agricultural work? Especially seasonal agricultural work?

NB How, exactly, do we 'exploit' migrants? Do you know of any paid below the legal minimum wage? (If so, why haven't you reported that...) Are any forced to come here to work?

towncryer and monicabilongame like this.
  20. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Projects sweep-it-under-the-carpet and let-others-pay-the-price are in full swing.

towncryer, InkyP and monicabilongame like this.