1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stocking fillers

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bonnie23, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

So normally when it comes to Christmas I'm pretty good at what to pick out! This year I'm stumped.

I only buy for my parents and normally get them two big gifts and a lot of little ones. I have their big gifts but no idea about little things to buy them.

I understand that Christmas is about spending time with family and enjoying each others company but I really enjoy buying presents for them.

What are the best small presents/stocking fillers you've bought or received? Or even made?

Open to lots of ideas!

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Make spice oil or herb oil. My signature pressy was home made rum truffles!

pepper5, Bonnie23 and sabrinakat like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

4. bonxie

bonxie Senior commenter

Homemade chocolate truffles and fudge taste much nicer than shop bought ones and show that you've taken time thinking about your parents so would be likely go down well.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Go to Poundland with a budget of £10.00 for each parent and go down the aisles and have a look. You could get them a mug and write their name on it with some type of crafting pen ( don't know exactly how, but you could look it up on YouTube) then fill the mug with sweets. Stationery like a notebook so they can keep a diary; there are lots of interesting toiletries, makeup some of which are name brand.
    Phone chargers, torches, all sorts of DIY things like hammers, measuring tape, de-icer and more. mason jars you could fill with homemade bath salts, candles, picture frames you could put your picture in. You will be amazed at what you can get and most of it isn't poor quality or looks cheap. You do have to be selective, but that is part of the fun - the challenge of finding 10 good quality gifts for each parent.

Superdrug is another favourite of mine. Currently they are selling Dove Exfoliating Body Scrub for £2.90 normally £5.99. If your mum is into makeup, makeup brushes are always a winner or eyeshadow palettes if you know what colours she likes. Real Techniques has a lip brush set on Superdrug site for £3.49 which was at one time on Boot's site for £15.00. Primark is another place to have a look - especially closer to Christmas when they will start marking their stock down. Their beauty section is good as is the men's section for T Shirts, socks, scarves, gloves and so on. Make up bags are a favourite of mine to receive. Ones where I can travel with.

Seed sets where you plant seeds into trays are a good idea.

Don't forget that if you have time to look, you can pick up some real bargains in charity shops. Jigsaw puzzles and books are just a couple of ideas. Some of the items are brand new and a steal.

What do your parents like to do? Are they into games? You could give them a board game or a pack of Uno cards.

If you go onto YouTube and search Christmas stocking filler ideas, you will find a lot of information.

A lot will depend on your skill and how much time you have to devote to making things. You could make them a personalised stocking if you have the time and know-how.

6. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Last year I gave some people cinema vouchers. I like useful presents so go into B and Q or Robert Dyas and pick up some bits.

7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

As pepper5 says, it depends what they're interested in and like doing. Small, very luxurious food gifts - chocs, tea, biscuits, mini bottles of flavoured gin (if you are near, John Lewis have lots of choice). Starbucks or Costa voucher? Latest best seller paperback? For your mum (women are always easier!) mini beauty treats like nail varnish, bath bomb. I've added some 'make in a mug' cakes to my dad's collection! They're very inexpensive and just a bit of fun.

8. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Eat, read, wear are my old fathifuls.

Homemade sauce or relish go down well, for instance I grow my own chilli's and am practised at making various preserves from them of various strengths. Bit late for this year, but make jam in late summer when fruit is cheap.

Sweets a bit out of the ordinary, I love pistachio Turkish delight if anyone is wondering...

Books need a bit more thought and 3 for 2's or similar make it easier.

Wear - thanks to winter, gloves, hat, scarf are good now, spare ones for in the car maybe, they always get lost at some point and plain ones still work and get worn.

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I have to say ladies and gentlemen that the quality of Christmas stuff available from the poundland in my home city this year is really rubbish.

10. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

But only if you know the drill.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How about polyfilla ?

silkywave and towncryer like this.
  12. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

Do they like to travel/are they going on holiday next year? If so how about some of the travel sized creams/shampoos that they sell in boots and super drug.

13. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I may come over as a bit stingy, but I'm going to say it anyway. Am I the only one who thinks that some of these ideas are kind of expensive? Especially if @Bonnie23 has already got "two big presents" for her Mum and Dad.
    If in doubt, I would suggest one of those "goats from Oxfam" things.

silkywave likes this.
  14. Mangleworzle

My SiL bought "me" one of those a few years ago, I'd forgotten about it until you said. It was the most rubbish "present" I've ever had. Couldn't be bothered to think of anything to get me, wanted to make herself feel good by paying for something she was otherwise too stingy to do. I'd have rather she didn't get anything and was honest about it. I don't think you should make charitable donations on others behalf unless they specifically say so.

It feels like being given money (a cop out anyway) and then having that money spent for you in a way the other person has decided upon to make themselves feel good.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

What should they be wrapped in?

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The goats that weren't always a good idea?

17. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Do they cook? If so what about bits from Joseph Joseph? Notebooks? Garden bits?

18. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

Socks?

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I was hoping for something more exotic.

20. Mangleworzle

I keep getting sent bamboo socks in the vain hope of some company that I will buy their overpriced bamboo clothing, I've had about 5 pairs so far.

bombaysapphire likes this.