1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stocking a new Year 1 classroom! Help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chazjuggler, May 3, 2012.

1. For some reason (namely my career) I have decided a move from KS2 down to Year 1 was a wise move. I have very little experience of KS1 and now one of the first jobs on my list is to stock a new classroom as we're having to change an usused classroom into my Year 1 class which means I need lots of ideas! Obviously I plan to speak to the current Year 1 teacher but any ideas of must have items etc would be greatly appreciated!

2. For some reason (namely my career) I have decided a move from KS2 down to Year 1 was a wise move. I have very little experience of KS1 and now one of the first jobs on my list is to stock a new classroom as we're having to change an usused classroom into my Year 1 class which means I need lots of ideas! Obviously I plan to speak to the current Year 1 teacher but any ideas of must have items etc would be greatly appreciated!

3. Lots of whiteboards, pens, magnetic letters and boards. Sand, water areas, stuff for role play areas. Lots of construction, jigsaws.

Am sure others will add to this

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

WOWOW!!! How exciting. And a whole new classroom as well...you are so lucky.

I'd say lots of role play stuff and more felt tips and whiteboard pens than you could ever dream of needing. Lots of fancy writing paper and pens and all that for a writing area.

If you get to have new furniture then horseshoe tables are excellent. Also child height display boards and smartboard.

5. A bloody good TA!

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

glove puppets and LOADS of dressing up clothes!

7. Thank you all very much! Now I've got some ideas I need to start moving everything out and ordering all the new stuff!

8. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

Consult your EYFS colleagues and make sure that your Y1 has all the same areas (although you will probably need a little more tabling than they have) - will really help with transition and allows forflexible andhands on approaches to teaching and learning.

9. comenius

comenius New commenter

As few tables as you can manage with!
    Moveable child size furniture to make different areas in your room.
    Tuff spot/builders tray.
    Loads of clip boards so they can write where ever they want!
    Childrens cameras.
    Small world stuff to support topic.
    Different construction toys.
    Mine go through loads of masking tape building models, making books etc.