1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stitch-up City - Rod "Rory" Stewart knocked out.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jun 19, 2019.

1. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Johnson lent him some votes in order to knock Raab out, once that was done he took them back. Who next will Johnson try to knock out? Gove perhaps? He might get it down to Hunt and Gove before knocking Gove out.

2. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Established commenter

3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

You say that like it would have been a bad thing!

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

When I watched the debate, I felt that Rory Stewart would not be long in the Tory Party. How can anyone who cares about society, sees taxes as useful and want to increase public spending stay under the Tory flag?

EmanuelShadrack and Burndenpark like this.
  5. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Ooh no! He will last in the Tories, because just like all the rest of them he is a big liar.

Burndenpark likes this.
  6. phlogiston

That is a distinct possibility - there was an article in the Guardian a few days ago highlighting his voting record

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

What lies did Stewart tell about his voting record?

8. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Today should be the ultimate in plotting, back-stabbing, and voter manipulation. Fortunately, of course that's just among Tory MPs, but the Machiavellian convolutions required to arrive at a run-off between Boris Johnson and Jeremy Hunt should tax the capacities of Alan B'Stard, Malcolm Tucker and Francis Urquhart to their absolute capacity.

Mrsmumbles and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  9. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Do you really think so? Boris is so far in the lead that he is obviously going to win today, and he is likely to be at least as popular with the party at large. There is no virtue in coming second, so I don't see why there should be any back-stabbing, plotting or manipulation simply to become the chief loser.

oldsomeman and LondonCanary like this.
  10. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Do you really think so? Do you think Gove, Hunt and Javid would agree with you?

11. florian gassmann

Of course. I wouldn't have written that if I did not believe it to be true.

What advantage do you think there is in losing?

sodalime likes this.
  12. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Maybe Hunt, Javid and Gove should just drop out then. Mind you, having David Davis arguing the case for Boris Johnson's obvious merits and fitness to do the job as Prime Minister on Radio 4 just now should have, were this world sane, cost him a hundred votes.

13. LondonCanary

It would save time given the Brexit timetable but it's important the members feel part of the process after no endorsement of May.

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

And when will be the Johnson's "et tu Brute" moment?

15. CraigCarterSmith

CraigCarterSmith Established commenter

exactly this

Its a sorry state of affair when people looked at him as being reasonable because he wasn't the calamity of Johnson, also i don't think it could be ignored that his numbers could've been swelled by Johnson camp wanting Raab out

I'm pretty sure no matter the outcome its the end of the Conservative party

IMO A Johnson coronation results in the cries of Brexit betrayal because he won't be able to do any better than TM and wont be hard line enough for BP people, which means we could be looking at a BP/Split vote which could allow Corbyn (lord help us) to sneak it with a Lab/Lib Dem coalition

Either way the UK is done, NI is either forgotten about and dragged along or given the exception for EU trade which will cause problems with the Scots which seek a similar deal

I gotta think who ever gets in could be looking at the shortest PM term in a long time

16. florian gassmann

None of whom are members of parliament.

You are imagining that the Tories will call for a general election. They won't. If Johnson lets them down they'd rather go through another leadership battle than have a general election.

nomad likes this.
  17. phlogiston

He didn't, but the way he voted in parliament could be seen to be at odds with his caring, looking after society image.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Has anybody heard from Robert Peston since Rory Stewart got knocked out of the leadership contest? I fear for his safety. #prayforpeston

Burndenpark likes this.
  19. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

You haven't answered my question.

Coming 2nd place is different to losing - and must contain some clear benefits as someone has to be seen to be giving BoJo a run for his money - otherwise, as MAGAorMIGA has said, why don't the hopeful trio just drop out?

20. LondonCanary

Not in a 2 horse race.

sodalime likes this.