1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stitch-up City - Rod "Rory" Stewart knocked out.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by MAGAorMIGA, Jun 19, 2019.

1. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

The Tory method of electing their leader, which puts so much power in the hands of their MPs, strikes again. Just as a plot amongst his rivals saw Portillo put out of contention in 2001, so the Gove-Hunt-Johnson machinations have done for a dangerous opponent.

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

How did the plot remove 6 votes?
    (Do you think the membership would have chosen him? )

artboyusa likes this.
  3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Stewart was dead in the water as soon as the Independent and Guardian started saying what a good candidate he was.

Kiss of death in Tory circles.

4. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Poor Roderick...so close.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  5. Spoofer4114

Spoofer4114 Occasional commenter

I wonder if there will be calls to re-run the election.

phlogiston likes this.
  6. MAGAorMIGA

No. He'd have been an interesting counterpoint to Johnson, though.

7. MAGAorMIGA

I agree with that - and the Telegraph with their MI6/spy allegations ensured he lost, too.

nizebaby and nomad like this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

The only reason Stewart lasted two rounds was the ridiculous pumping from the mainstream media. Stewart is a naive and inexperienced politician, barely suitable for his constituency and had he been elected leader, it would have been the end of the Conservative party.

artboyusa and jenny_talwarts like this.
  9. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Spot on. Like I've said, we've been here before. Another case of confected media enthusiasm for a glib, globalist sock puppet who is wetter than a basket of fresh caught flounder. Ten years ago Roderick was this guy...
    [​IMG]

10. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I have no axe to grind for any Tory politiciam. But two of my friends live in his constituency, and were very impressed by him when they went to listen to hin speak re Brexit.

nomad likes this.
  11. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I think lefty leaners might have found Stewart the least worst (my LW vote would've gone to Saj) so he is therefore Very Dangerous. Of course he's gone.

phlogiston likes this.
  12. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

He also is a remainer which would not be what most Tory MP's are looking for. He also was a dark horse and unknown as a power which might not have helped. Johnson has a powerful team behind hin seeking to get him elected and I believe they are dictating his strategy.
    Not I might say do I have a lot of faith in Boris!

13. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Thoughts and prayers to Robert Peston at this difficult time for him.

Burndenpark likes this.
  14. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

I don't think there are many lefty leaners among the party membership.

15. oldsomeman

All the lefty leaners as in the Labour party aren't they? lol

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Well was going to make longer post but bath run. You know many conservatives did not want leave. They liked TM. They liked RS. Just not enough of them - their opinion counting for nothing atm obvs.

17. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

He's the only one who came anywhere near the truth.

I agree with Ken Clark, the other four were talking absolute rubbish about things they cannot possibly deliver. I was almost shocked by how mendacious they all were, while simultaneously being absolutely useless at it. An execrable standard of politician. We are heading for disaster as a nation even faster than we were last week.

We will highly likely end up with an incompetent, racist, lying buffoon, who doesn't understand climate change. There's nothing we need less at the moment.

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Most MPs voted to remain in the referendum vote, including the majority of the Tory Party. Are you saying that you can't trust a Tory to have the courage of their convictions or what?

I get it that they were disappointed with the way the vote went. I get it that May tried to find a compromise solution for the sake of the country. I get it that the incompetent shower of MPs that scraped through in the 2017 election have been up against it and I get it that they've made such a mess of Brexit that they are panicing about the future of their party.

What I don't get is why they are now supporting candidates who are most likely to ensure the Tory party will never be elected again for a very long time, if ever.

I fully understand why you will be pleased to have a PM who supports the way you voted, but every candidate claimed to be offering that. i.e they all said they would respect the referendum outcome.

May was a remainer, but had a plan to take us out of the EU; and we'd have been out of it by now, if the knuckle-dragging power-hungry hard-liners had allowed it to go through.

It's high time people wisened up to what Brexit is really all about, @oldsomeman, and it isn't about your of my best interests.

I'm too old for it to make a lot of difference and you're older still. I care about the future of the youngsters though and fear for them about the way it's being manipulated to be dire for them, so the rich can get even fatter than they've been getting.

19. oldsomeman

At the moment the Tories want to exit and Boris is possibly seen as the man who might just do that and restore their fortunes.
    The whole disaster scenario painted is just that yet!...but remembering getting elected and able to do what they fell is noot always the same. Many a wannabe leader have found that out.
    Personally to leave for me is better than the quagmire stirred up many indecisive politicians and an inability to decide which has half paralysed
    the country.
    I have read your comment, I acknowledge your view but its not mine despite some of your comments being almost correct. I still want to leave and have always held so, as in the long run, I perceive it is better than staying.
    At his point, I am not reopening the debate I have had 2 years of folks thinking they are right.so, Duke, you are going to have to fight somewhere else. I respect your view but it's not mine.

20. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

I know. Did the Tory Mps really know what they were voting for?