1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stirred but not shaken

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Nov 5, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

A reading of Keith Floyd's autoboigraphy was serialised this week on R4 extra. I've just listened to it on the iplayer where I imagine it only remain for a short time. Each episode lasts around 15 minutes, so if you were a fan, you might want to catch it while you can.

2. modelmaker

A reading of Keith Floyd's autoboigraphy was serialised this week on R4 extra. I've just listened to it on the iplayer where I imagine it only remain for a short time. Each episode lasts around 15 minutes, so if you were a fan, you might want to catch it while you can.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Thanks for the heads-up, MM. I'm a huge fan of Floyd, even though it seems he was a bitter and unpleasant man in real life, so I'd be interested to see how he saw things.

4. modelmaker

I have the impression he was a victim of his success. All his business ventures ended in failure, because of his love for food and good company took his eye off the ball when it came to making a profit from it. I read somewhere that he was exceedingly generous with the bar for customers who complimented him about his spirit for food and engaged him in conversation after their meals.
    He tells us that his career wasn't condusive to having a happy life. There was a catalogue of failed marriages and trusting the wrong people.
    He tells us that it's a lonely life on the road as a gastromomic food presenter that led to his alcohol addiction.
    He speaks a little about his frustration at the incompetence of the crew members who worked on the various series, most of which was done in a single take.
    I'm also a huge fan of Floyd. He was the first real celebrity chef and inspired many people, me included, to look at food as more than just sustainance. Every food programme since his TV career began owes a debt to his unique style.

5. Overrated.
    Sorry, he left and leaves me cold.
    He never enthused me.
    Delia did.
    Even Jamie has done.
    But Floyd never did.
    But if anyone (apart from my family) made cooking something I wanted to be able to do - it was Delia.
    Her voice can annoy you to death, but I am of an age where you hadn't heard her voice...
    After Mrs. Beaton, she was the one who rocked...
    Men do firework stuff, women cook.

6. modelmaker

I'm sure Delia has her place in the TV cookery hall of fame, but she didn't do anything a decent mother wouldn't have taught her kids. Did the nation honestly need to learn how to boil an egg? Did it honestly need to be told that Aunt Bessie's frozen mash can be used as a topping for shepherd's pie so you've got more time to attend to either ironing or womens' liberation issues?
    I'm glad you've returned, celtic. I'd almost lost the will to live without a decent arguement over food.

7. Obviously yes. Only Jamie since (and this is why I will not condemn him, even though I think his recipies are naff)...has done so. There STILL is a need.
    The rest - sazzy, sezy, stick your finger in and lick it with a wink - that is not learning to cook Nobody has taught as Mother did as Delia did. And after Delia - even though I don't like his stuff - Jamie. Cos both of them were concerbed about FEEDING YOUR FAMILY AND PUTTING DECENT GRUB ON THE TABLE.
    Not about how chic to be.

8. [​IMG]
    What would we do without one another?

9. I remember Graham Kerr! i checked out his website and he is still alive and cooking in the US. he was one of the first TV celebrities in NZ. Alison Holst did cooking shows for years and was very similar to Delia I think. (I haven't seen a lot of Delia.) She did sensible family cooking.
    I admire Jamie's energy especially in the early series. fannie sounds interesting -ballgown and all that. I haven't heard of Floyd.