1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stirke Day - how much less is your pay?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by jem16, Jan 5, 2012.

1. I'm trying to work out how much will be deducted from pay for the strike day. Any idea what to divide by? Is it 365 days, 200 days actual worked or what?

2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

We got a note about it with December's salary slip. It says that it's 1/235 of annual salary for teachers.

3. Thanks.
    That does appear to be exactly what it amounts to but where on earth do they get a 1/235th from?

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

We are in school 195 days a year.
    In last year's sellout deal 40 extra days were designated as "school closures" (supposedly to sort bout something to do with maternity leave.)
    195+40=235days

5. The extra 40 are your 40 days holiday. It's everything other than days worked + holiday that's a "school closure day".

6. Thank you all.

7. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

SNCT agreement. If your employer deducts your daily rate and has done so accuratrly then fine. I understand some LAs might be using an hourly calculation which will be detrimental in comparison. If your pay is down by more than 1/235 th then get in touch with your union.

8. So what happens with the teachers who were on holiday (St Andrews day), was that a holiday, a closure day or what? Did they get their pay reduced?

9. I can (almost) get the 1/235th based on the fact we have lots of holidays/school closure days. But how does that relate to the letter we were issued with stating that all other employees were docked 1/365th?

Very confused and feeling like we've been penalised harder somehow?

10. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Very true and we weren't given the option to pay into our pensions like other emplyees.

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Yes,there was something about this on the generic (ie,not just teachers) info that came with pay slip. Why can't we do that too?

12. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Don't know why I just remember out HT saying that we couldn't when she told the rest of the staff.

13. Those that were on holiday were not on strike so no pay reduction.

14. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

And us serfs were just laid off for the day. They would not even let us strike! Could not stop us going to the rallies though.

15. In Highland it is 1/195! This means our statutory holiday pay is also affected. Not impressed.