1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stir Up, we beseech thee....

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Bethannie, Nov 19, 2011.

1. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
    (The collect to be read in Anglican Churches tomorrow...)

So, tomorrow is 'Stir Up Sunday' ....who will be making a Christmas Pudding?

It's not part of our family tradition - but I may 'cheat' and buy an individual one!

On the other hand, the first batch of Mince Pies was made by Mum yesterday (thanks to Belle!)...ingredients for home made German biscuits and Marzipan are in the larder...and Stollen recipes are being hotly debated...Quark Stollen is going to win, the little individual ones! My favourites!
    Christmas is most assuredly on itts way! Yipeeeeeee!

2. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

I have whittled down my cake making this Christmas, instead of 12 or more I am making 6 with a little one for manashee.
    It's difficult as I'm having a very bad attack of TN at the moment and find sitting still and not moving is the best thing to do!!

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

My Xmas cakes and pudding only need to be made a few days before...but as Mr EGs parents are visiting for the weekend and Mr EG is back from his tour tomorrow I am debating whether or not to make a Xmas pud for pudding tomorrow...I have all the stuff here...I could, couldn't, I?! And I quite fancy a Mince pie...
    I am so excited about Xmas this year!

4. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Small ice cream centre and then sorbet around. You can buy moulds to make them in. Nougat ice cream with a red fruit sorbet is my favourite.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Sounds just divine......but not at all like a Yule log! I love nougat ice cream and any sorbet, but raspberry is perfect with nougat.
    Just yummy!

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I like Christmas pud, but not enough to want to make it. I'm also happy eating it just once a year.
    I've never spent Christmas in my own abode and won't be for at least another few Christmases, so making my own has never occurred to me.
    I think when I do eventually have to fend for the family with a dessert on Christmas day, I can see me plumping for a variation on a Yule log and making a chocolate roulade. Made well, it is one of the scrummiest things that exists.

7. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

I will probably be with Mum and any family/friends who join us.
    I might make my Baked Cheesecake for dessert. ....but we rarely eat a pudding after Christmas Dinner......too stuffed by second helpings of the mains course! So the cheesecake will be for the evening or Boxing Day.
    I'm still considering getting an individual pudding for myself.

8. I made chocolate roulade for years as our Christmas 'pudding' - with Amaretto cream in the middle! So much chocolate ganache and cream that it wouldn't roll at all - ended up as a chocolate triangle.
    Remind me why I've decided on chocolate truffle torte this year..........[​IMG]

9. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Cos it is yummy!
    Thought it would just be the four of us this year as Mr EGs parents and his brothers and sisters had all booked to go away (as had we, before we found out I was pregnant!) but his Dad has just been told he won't be able to fly by his GP so Mr EGs parents are coming to us. I think Mum-in-Law is relieved because she told me yesterday that she didn't want to spend the first Christmas she had grandchildren away from them!

10. ljr

ljr New commenter

I have cooked my Christmas pudding in the slow cooker this year. I normally do the opposite & use the pressure cooker, but I haven't fully come to terms with my new one, and I just didn't have 6 hours to leave a pudding to steam on the stove, so I left it overnight in the slow cooker. It seems to be fine....time will tell.

11. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

It's that time of year again :)

12. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Last years Christmas pud will be made into icecream. We never eat it after the blow-out dinner and as o/h is working this year, no point in making another.

13. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've got all my ingredients but was unableto make puds today [​IMG]
    I did make mincemeat which is sitting for 24 hours before potting. It is steeped in brandy, spiced rum and amaretto and smells divine!
    Stir up Sunday for me ill be next Sunday.