1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stir up Sunday

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Penguinitis, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Penguinitis

Penguinitis Occasional commenter

So, I'm making my gluten-free Christmas cake today (fruit soaked in Cointreau overnight - yum). What would you like to stir up today?

2. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Take a look on the boards and I feel sure you will find lots of concoctions being stirred up.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

MrsE will be making "the cake" today. I will be making sure the icing is as thin as possible whenit goes on nearer "the time".

4. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I always quite enjoy the icing on the cake.

5. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

It gives me toothache to look at it.

monicabilongame likes this.
  6. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I do prefer the marzipan. That is my real passion.

7. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I love icing. I loathe marzipan.

8. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Ahhhhh. I love the taste and the smell of almonds.

racroesus and lanokia like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Marzipan! Best bit of Christmas food!

monicabilongame likes this.
  10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

It is wonderful with dark chocolate on it. Lidl have excellent dark choc covered marzipan.

11. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I made my gluten-free Christmas cake three weeks ago. It has already had a couple of drinks of Madeira. Next week I might make mince pies. I have quince mincemeat from last year which will either be inedible or amazing by now.

12. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Marzipan! Yum!

No fruit cake here but I will be making a Christmas pudding and the mincemeat for the mince pies soon, as well as flavouring a vat of brandy with orange zest, vanilla and spices. PCjr may make a gingerbread house or spiced biscuits.

13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

My ex loved marzipan so much that I had to buy two blocks to put in the cupboard and hide the block for the cake.
    Regrettably I've eaten the glace cherries I'm supposed to be putting in my cake so have got to nip out and buy more :oops:

14. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Being pretty solitary at Christmas i shall probably just buy one and marinate it in a suitable liqueur/spirit.
    This means, of course, that I will have to forego icing again this year :(

15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I feel as if I'm cheating. I've bought one of those Dr Oetker ready rolled sheets of royal icing -darned expensive! In the past, I've mixed up my own and done swirly peaks. I'll roll it on today then put the cake in a tin until I can think of a suitable decoration. I've bought some little pudding and holly biscuit decorations but they might look naff.
    Could have bought a ready made cake for half the price. And saved the trauma of what happened when I baked it. The main oven is on the blink, so I put the cake in the top oven but instead of switching it off at the end I put the grill on, instead. On high. Smoke, charred sultanas and careful removal of cremated top layer.

emilystrange likes this.
  16. Sid_Pubes

Sid_Pubes Senior commenter

"Stir Up Sunday" has, of course, absolutely nothing to do with making puddings or cakes. It is so nicknamed from the Collect for the Sunday next before Advent, which reads:

"Stir up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people; that they, plenteously bringing forth the fruit of good works, may of thee be plenteously rewarded; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen."

In the light of the Odeon chain's decision to ban an advertisement featuring the Lord's Prayer from its cinemas, I should perhaps apologise to any Personal Forum members to whom my printing a Christian prayer has given offence.

monicabilongame and snowyhead like this.
  17. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

You're forgiven, *****.

kibosh and rachelpaula008 like this.
  18. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I can't think of anything more appropriate to the creation of christmas cakes and puddings :)

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well I'm flummoxed! Flummoxed I tells ya!

Just asked the wife and she doesn't want a Christmas Cake! *faint*

I was going to make one and everything... hmmmm...

I shall now google alternatives.

20. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You can make me one and post it!

I'm going to make a hazelnut torte. Nobody in my family but me really likes Christmas cake.

lanokia likes this.