1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stimulus material for Unit 4 Edexcel A2

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by openshh1, Jul 7, 2008.

1. What are you guys going to do next year? Will be starting in September, and am really stuck! The best thing I've done was go for a walk with the students and we stumbled on a murder scene in the park - taped off areas and police cars everywhere! It was obviously not planned and I don't know how to follow that up. . .

2. What are you guys going to do next year? Will be starting in September, and am really stuck! The best thing I've done was go for a walk with the students and we stumbled on a murder scene in the park - taped off areas and police cars everywhere! It was obviously not planned and I don't know how to follow that up. . .

3. phairry

phairry New commenter

Why not do some hot seating of murder suspects, or get them to improvise or create a story board of the day of the person who was killed.

Maybe you could have them all as key witnesses to the victim on the day he/she was killed and from their responses you could create the story of that day?

The possibilities are vast and very interesting.
    Good Luck

4. I think you misunderstood - I can't do the murder thing - that was last time, need different ideas!

5. I always do my Unit 4 based on Artaud. I do some Artaud based workshops on his ideas and styles and then provide them with a selection of challenging stimuli to choose from (photo/poem/song etc) to choose as their basis.
    They then use Artuad's ideas to produce their own piece of 'theatre of cruelty'!

6. I am playing with a few ideas at the moment. I am new to the spec so not sure how valid my opinion isbut here goes:

What does it mean to be British?

Pandora's box - lots of links to thing spiralling out of control - opening a can of worms- Greek theatre etc

Knife crime - I went to uni with Brooke Kinsella so the death of her brother has given me a real personal interest in this

7. I did an Artaud session today with some year 10 in fact as a sample lesson for 6th form; started off with 'molecules,' and then got them to tell a random person they were next to when I said 'stop'about a bad dream they had had; then they told the next person one word that summed up the dream they had heard, they all wrote down these words, passed them round till they had ten each, then we soundscaped that.
    Then I asked them to add percussion and a few red lights,they all had five minutes to come up with a few movements and noises plus the words.
    I think due to the molecules and soundscape warm up they were all very 'up for' the scariness!
    Worked really well, and then I told them about who Artaud was and his beliefs, followed that up with the section in Changing Stages about Artaud on the video, and that was the 45 minutes gone.

8. I know it's different courses BUT i did some stimulus work with my Higher Students for their Investigative Unit and I used the final six minutes from Six Feet Under as a starting point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnTPGdqJRLs

The students got really involved in it - some using music, others imagery, others looking at the characters, others the symbols.

By watching it the class were alraedy emotionally involved and they created some great work.

If you want to know how to download the clip onto your pen drive let me know.

9. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

I use the film Memento to give them the idea of playing around with the chronology of a piece it uses some clever teniques and great acting......could ask them to come up with some ideas ready to experiment with in september.

10. Thank you guys for the ideas - good stuff!

11. Education for Leisure - schizopherenia and 'stokholm syndrom'

12. Lots of interesting ideas. Our Unit 4s are always very Artaud based. Just considering stimulus material at the moment. Don't have any flashes of inspiration yet...!

13. I've decided to do about the Titanic. Not looking at the cheesy Cameron film, but the historical facts, personal stories etc. Hope my group like the idea!

14. Ooh Titanic; I did a monologue about the Titanic based on eye witness accounts, if you're interested I could email it to you.
    You have my email address I think?
    Or remind me of yours, whichever.

15. Monologue 12. From When You're Ready (2)
    Ruth Becker on the Titanic

I was 12 when we took ship in Southampton, on the famous liner ?R.M.S Titanic?, sister ship to the Olympic.
    It was her maiden voyage. 11 storeys high and as long as three football pitches.
    It was April 10th 1912.
    The white funnels with black stripes were seen first, towering over the rooftops of Southampton.
    The newspapers in America said:
    ?Inside, the ship was panelled and chandeliered and marble floored. It had ornate and opulent staircases like Hampton Court, and every modern luxury; three ball rooms,squash courts,Turkish baths, carved wood and mirrors everwhere.
    It was a palace, designed to appeal to the Astors and Vanderbilts, the Lords and Countesses who had summered in Deauville and Monte Carlo.?
    My father was a missionary in India and joined us in Michigan later.
    We were in Second class cabin number eight, on deck F.
    When we had explored the ship- this took four days, and we kept getting lost- we noticed how much colder it had become.
    In the night of Saturday April 14th , at 11.40 pm a huge iceberg was spotted 500 yards ahead.
    The newspapers said the binoculars were missing from the crows nest , so the look outs were relying on their eyes in the darkness to spot the haze, the obscuring of the horizon, that meant ? iceberg.
    5 of the Watertight compartments below decks were ripped open and started to fill.
    Says here:?On the bridge they were unaware of their danger, believing the sections to render the boat virtually unsinkable.?
    The milled steel became more brittle in low temperatures, scientists discovered years later.
    There were lifeboats, but not enough.
    1,178 could be saved of the 2,228- filling the lifeboats to capacity that is, which they were not.
    Hymns were played by the band- right up until the boat sank beneath the waves we could hear them.They played ?ragtime? tunes, to cheer themselves up.
    Says:?The passengers had refused to go in the lifeboats, reasoning that as the ship was unsinkable, there was no need to put themselves to the trouble of getting cold and bobbing about on the sea. Also they did not want to leave their husbands.
    And, they could see a boat plainly on the horizon, and assumed it was coming to fetch them.?
    It was not. It was the Californian, and had its wireless switched off.
    ?Women were forcibly pushed into the boats, and sometimes they fought their way back out again.?
    ?We have lived together for forty years and we will not be parted now?, old Mrs Strauss said.
    Three of the lifeboats were lowered with only 28 in, instead of 65 or more.
    One woman called from the deck to her friend in the life boat: ?You?ll need a pass to get back on board tomorrow!?
    Lots of men were leaning on the railings and having a smoke and a chat.
    But later, when they saw the slant of the corridors, they realised the danger was real.
    The German lady, Mrs Spriegel , realised her baby was not with her; she later found her baby wrapped in blankets on another lifeboat.
    Later a man threw himself into a descending lifeboat and landed on a woman, breaking her ribs and making her unconscious.
    Richard aged 1, and my sister Marion,were with mother in lifeboat 15; we became separated when I was sent back down to our cabin for blankets.We were still in our night clothes.
    As my boat ? number 13- hit the water the other- 15- was lowered on top of us- they cut the ropes and got clear just in time. There was icy cold water slopping around our ankles. The ship looked very beautiful and immense, with all its lights blazing.
    ?The seas so calm, it?s like a bloomin? picnic on the Serpentine? one of the stokers at the oars told me.
    We watched the port lights go out one by one as the ship sank. It was about half past one I think.
    It seemed to break in half and one half went down first. The bows sank before the stern; we watched,open mouthed, stupefied, as the propeller rose in the air.
    The screams of those in the water in life jackets rang in our ears- most were dead within minutes in that freezing water. It felt hot with the shock of the extreme cold. Their hearts stopped.
    Should n?t we go back- and try to pick up some more? Someone asked. No reply.
    On the deck of the Carpathia , I was one of the 705 saved,who stood shivering as they held their mugs of cocoa with trembling frozen hands. We were listening to the women, as they hunted for their husbands on the Carpathia and discovered they were not there.
    The roll call was read- there were more silences than answers.
    The reaction in New York when the boat docked and thousands of relatives wailed out entreaties about the passengers, wanting news. This was when I realised, as if for the first time, the depth of the grief.
    Later I read of the quest to bring in the bodies, bobbing in the sea off Newfoundland.
    The babies and children, the Swedish families, rich and poor alike, found in the water in lifejackets.
    I could see them, in my imagination, like tiny icebergs.

892 words

16. ^That's probably easier than emailing it to you!
    That's all verbatim accounts.

17. Thank you Taster, that's fab! I'm really excited now.

xxx