1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

stimulating circuits!

Discussion in 'Science' started by pixiepie, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Thank you very much both of you. Very interesting and some fab ideas! I wil ldefinitely be incorporating aspects into my lessons. I especially like the idea of them sorting out the kit, saves me some time and they are also learning at the same time.

Yes we are teaching about current this term (switches) going to get the kids to put together the circuit electric olympic torch that can be turned on and off accompanied by an annotated diagram and an explanation of how it works. We are going to look at a website I found which shows the current moving and they can play on the simulation game themselves changing various variables and if they don't get the concept, or if a few don't. .. i'll take them to do a physical representation by assigning a child as a bulb and a cell in a circle and getting them to sqeeze eachothers hand so as to show the current, I'll break the circuit by stopping a child sqeezing another ones hand and the bulb will not longer light up, I'll reconnect it and the bulb (child!) will light up (smile!) again. Then i'll pretend to be switch myself connecting on and off so they can see this actually happening. Don't want to confuse them but i think this could be a good way of doing things but i get them thinking more abstractly.

Do you have any ideas for current teaching?

2. There were a couple of threads recently from a student who seemed to be being encouraged to "explain" more at Primary Level, by a Professor of Education. Some of us worried about the pupils picking up mis-conceptions which would be more difficult to correct later. On the whole, you do not appear to be falling into this trap, thankfully.
    However, it is electric charges which move and this is referred to as the current. IF possible, stick to observations and measurements please? "You will learn more about this at High School" is, IMO, a very good phrase [​IMG].