1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Still the kids don't give a ...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Oct 30, 2015.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I can relate to a lot of that. I liked the heart felt delivery.

I have found pupils who give a "...." but I had to leave the state sector. It makes the job so much more satisfying when the majority in all classes want to do well and take responsibility for their own achievement.

3. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

A brilliant piece of work
    I wonder how many teenagers/schoolkids have viewed it and if they now give a ****

4. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Nice one lanokia

I taught children (state sector) who did give a s!!! *
    Unfortunately education policy is directed entirely at those who don't. (think this might be where we're going wrong with results etc.

* the most disheartening for me, were the many children of migrant workers -often very intelligent but little English (so far). They were desperate to learn, but completely dumbfounded by the behaviour and apathy of the others.
    (Of course these didn't matter because, "They don't count in the statistics.")

midnight_angel likes this.
  5. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Great writing and delivery!

Even so, what is the real message to take away?

Why SHOULD kids give a s**t? The fact is they DON'T. And why SHOULD they? You can't MAKE them. All you can do is CHANGE THE SYSTEM.

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

So true, yet IME they start to give a sh*t once they reach a level where they can see the benefit of giving a sh*t. Teaching Engineering students (FE) once they get to HNC level they start to become motivated because they can see a goal that is achievable and actually means something to their employer and to themselves.

7. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Not many.

8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I think after a few years in teaching I gave up trying to get the kids to give a '****' and just got on with what my job was, teaching them a curriculum. As soon as I stopped trying to alter their mindset, trying to pander to them... then I found it all a lot easier.

I've given colleagues lifts to work... stopping off at a supermarket for my morning coffee and they've returned to the car laden down with chocolates 'for the kids'... always seem pointless to me.

midnight_angel likes this.
  9. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

I never bribed the kids, or rewarded them with chocolate or anything more substantial than a 'that's excellent, well done' sort of remark, and some nice comments in their books. I never bought them sweets at the end of term. Why should I? They're not my kids and I'm there to teach them, not pander to them or rot their teeth. They had enough pens and glue-sticks out of me over the years as it is.

midnight_angel and lanokia like this.
  10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

That was my way of thinking monica. Parents should feed them.

11. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Brilliant!
    The trouble is, teachers give too much of a s... and that's why we end up on the verge of a nervous breakdown!

bombaysapphire and lanokia like this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

True that.

13. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

And yet there are threads - especially on the Primary forum - towards the end of every term, from teachers asking what they should give their class as a gift.

Nothing! You're their teacher, not their Mum/Dad.

midnight_angel and lizziescat like this.
  14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well I think that's the first time that's happened to me.

15. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Really? Was that because of one mild swear word which was very much in context? Shame.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wondering if I should post a link to the video?

Is that naughty or is a link OK?

17. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Yes, please - I'm curious.....

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2015
    sabrinakat likes this.
  19. yfel_endwerce

yfel_endwerce Established commenter

Apparently "not making a gift of stool samples" is in bad odour with TES moderators.
    Which, if you think about it, is slightly illogical

20. kittylion

kittylion Senior commenter

I wish I had been able to read this before Ianokia's post got removed. Must have been interesting!