1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

still no job....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gila, May 26, 2011.

1. what a week it was. Interview invite for Wednesday at a school I love, received on Friday. Later on Friday, a second interview invite for the same day. Rang both schools, neither could change arrangements, so had to cancel the second interview on Wednesday - and will never know if that would have been 'the one'.... Another interview today, good feedback but still no job. I've been told I should be pleased to get interviews (and I was), so now I finally got my application right (thanks, Theo, lots of good tips at the seminar!). BUT and it's a big but, I still have no job, and am feeling completely exhausted and very down after two long interview days, and no useful feedback. I'm beginning to think I can't go on with this whole game, visiting schools, writing good applications, and then finally preparing and stressing for the interview, and then a rejection. I'm beginning to think I've had enough of it.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, Gila I do feel for you! Been there so often myself!
    It's always raw just after & one tends to fell never again. Then after a few days, one tends to pick oneself up & realise teaching IS the only job and so wait impatiently for the next set of adverts.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

No, Gila, you are NOT going to give up!
    You have got the first big hurdle sorted now, with those applications spot on.
    There will be more jobs after half term, you will apply, you will get interviewed, you will get a job.
    If you give up I shall be extremely annoyed with you and probably never speak to you again.
    So there!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.
    A new Moving to Headship or SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

P.S.
    And if you give up, you will NEVER get a star!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    The Job Seminars are all sold out, I'm afraid, but Julia is planning some more later on.
    A new Moving to Headship or SLT seminar is planned for 18 June.

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I had 9 interviews before my first post but looking back there were very few of them that I would have really loved. Just think of it as fate. There are still more jobs to come keep going and your perfect post will snatch you up! xx

6. oh no don't jump off a bridge! I've had tears as well, I know how you feel. Read through the comments that posters wrote to me - I already feel better today, thanks to those encouraging words. Both you and I have been invited to 4 interviews in two weeks, which is brilliant in the current climate. Let's continue to apply and hope that we get some more interviews and finally a job. Let's try and be positive.

7. Lara mfl 05

On the plus side you have been getting interviews (so your application is doing you justice).
    Been ther, got the t-shirt but after a while you pick yourself up & try again, Incidentally doing supply at a school, I've just been offered 6 week's work -yet I can't score an interview with any of my applications!

8. Sidthepig

Sidthepig New commenter

Thanks for your encouraging words. Keep posting and let me know how you are getting on. Perhaps we can support each other through this difficult time. I've got two more applications in but as yet haven't heard anything.

9. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I know how you feel. I had my eighth knockback today for middle management positions [​IMG]
    I have to confess jumping off a bridge crossed my mind, too.

10. I feel the same - 4 interviews for last 4 jobs I applied for but still no luck. Apart from the first one, they have all said I was 'pipped at the post' with positive feedback so I don't know where I am going wrong. I have never had a problem with interviews before coming into teaching - feeling really down about it all and a bit useless and worried I won't find one to do my NQT year.

11. LauraLee

LauraLee New commenter

It is difficult at the moment with the economic climate; so many people are after one job. I found at my last interview that the teacher they were looking for nowhere near matched the person specification in the advert! I qualified 3 years ago and got the first job I went for (those were the days!). However, after 2 years I resigned because that particular school was not where I wanted to be. I wrote to local schools in the area and included my C.V. One school offered me a year's full time teaching position covering a maternity leave. It has been a brilliant experience. The department has welcomed me with open arms and I have gained valuable experience teaching GCSE in my second subject. I have had 3 interviews so far this year for September but have not landed the job. It is a blow when someone else is deemed more suitable than you but I believe in destiny. The worse thing is going back to school the day after the interview and no matter how quiet you try to be about going for a job, everyone knows where you have been. You feel such a reject when you tell enquiring colleagues you didn't get it! I've joined a supply agency for September, just in case nothing permanent comes up. I would rather have a permanent position lined up as I like security, but I'll manage. I have hope and have never seriously thought about giving up as I love my job. I just know it's a matter of time before a school out there recognises all of my positive attributes and snaps me up, just like everyone else who has had several interviews and is still desperately searching.

12. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Destiny, people. Churchill knew it, about something far more important than one job!
    Keep your head up, don't give up, do your best and keep faith with yourselves. If things get too bad and you need a little help, talk to someone. The Samaritans are great and will always listen - you don't have to be suicidal to call them!
    You will, eventually, win through. Look back at the times you haven't got what you were so sure you needed/wanted - and how it turned out, eventually. We never know what WOULD have happened, so all we can do is go with what DOES happen. And it is that the we have to make the most of. And it sometimes helps to count one's blessings, too. We could, all of us, be in Sudan, homeless, foodless, bereaved, injured, terrified...
    Good luck to all and keep those chins up!

13. Lara mfl 05

Good positive thinking there Jonntyboy.
    Now last week I had a 'kick-back' when I received the 'We're not going to follow up your application' letter (well at least they wrote back & thought up a different phrase!) & missed out on an applicationbecause of it. Then Fri last week got offered a possible 6 weekssupply work!

14. NNS

NNS New commenter

Last week I thought I would die of exhaustion. An interview on Thursday the previous week, 8 hours journey to Birmingham and back on the same day (no job), then an interview on Tuesday, 9 hours journey again, and I had two more planned on Wednesday and Thursday (that I could not prepare since they phoned in on Monday afternoon, when I was leaving for my Tuesday interview). I took my laptop, just in case, to be able to work on the train, but I prayed for the Tuesday job since I knew there was no way I would be able to prepare a 55 minute lesson on the train, and then go back home and prepare 35 handouts and a lesson plan, and prepare for the interview, and then leave at 5 am the next day.
    That was after already having two interviews before that, all in places quite far away (my county is like a desert for post in my field).
    So when they phoned and said "It was a pleasure to have you, but we cant offer you a job..." I felt empty. Then they said they had another post for a temporary contract, and so at least I will manage to do my NQT year. Next year we will see what happens, but just to show you, I was about to give up myself after all the hours or preparation and traveling and hearing 'Sorry, we decided to take another candidate'.

15. Crookshanks

Crookshanks New commenter

It's all very disheartening applying for jobs where they recieve 50+ applications, going for interviews and not getting the job [​IMG]
    I really feel for all those people in the same position as I am;no job! I suppose you have to ask yourself do you love your job enough to continue to try and get a job and can you financially survive if you continue to job hunt a teaching job.
    I am so down all the time at the moment, I can't get to sleep, I start crying if anyone asks me if I am OK and I am not motivated to work now to sort my planning out for when I go back to school after half term. I am on a maternity contract at the moment and will have to go back into supply if I don't get a job.
    But despite all the unhappiness and stress, I know that there are no other jobs I'd rather do. I also know that when I do (hopefully) get a job it will all seem worth it.
    I was reading an article on TES about how there has been a decrease in applications to complete a PGCE. So hopefully, there will be less people applying and the job situation will improve.

16. Nice to know I have to have around 100 interviews to get 1 job. I'd rather cut my head off now thanks.
    As far as my outlook is concerned - I will continue to apply but as far as preparing for the interviews - no chance. I'll do it when I feel like it. Which at the moment is never. All my enthusiasm is being ebbed away into oblivion (like I told my supply agent). What is the point of getting into teaching and ending on a self-inflating heap?

17. It's probably easy for me to say but... after seeing that you struggled with the teaching part of the interview I just wondered if you tried to do something too fancy? I had two interviews that I had to teach at (offered both... long story) but my lessons were nothing fancy. I got the job I have now in a lovely school - "because of my teaching"! (my interview was probably shocking!). My lessons were something that I would do in school tomorrow...
    I'm no expert but if you keep it simple you will probably feel more at ease and the people who are observing you are probably looking mainly at how you are with the children - which is what counts the most (in my opinion). So just be yourself! when you are asked about your lesson in the interview - be completely honest - if you didn't feel that something went quite right - tell them that - they will see that you are able to identify where you can improve.
    Most of all... If you didn't get a job.. it wasn't the one for you! It does definitely have to be for you too! There will be others and one of them will be the one for you!
    Good luck!

18. I agree with this 100% I have been for 4 interviews in the last 3 weeks.
    Interview 1 (2 posts) - All 7 candidates taught the same class about place value. Head did not do teaching observations, someone from LA did. I think the lesson was the worst lesson I have ever taught. I was asked to stay for the afternoon session. I almost left there and then but wanted the interview practice, so I stayed. They never asked if I was a firm candidate for the post so had they offered it me I would have declined. Fortunately I was rejected (and I am sure the head must have heard me sigh). She told me two specific times to call for feedback, I did and she wasn't available either time. After three calls and leaving my name and mobile number and the head not even having the courtesy to call me back when she had 5 mins, I just conformed it was right that I did not get the job - I'd have hated it there!
    Interview 2 (1 post) - Desperately wanted this job. Loved the school. Got great feedback but was pipped at the post and he wished he had a second job to give me. Job went to internal candidate. Head rang his old deputy and suggested they see me (see interview 4).
    Interview 3 (2 posts advertised, 4 posts available on the day) They interviewed 18 people which suggested to me they didn't really know what they wanted and were hedging their bets. Their ICT didn't work in my lesson, so three laptops later I had to get resourceful and change what I was doing. My lesson was observed for 10 mins by one person, someone else's was observed for the full hour by two different people - not exactly a level playing field! Unsurprisingly I wasn't taken through to the interviews in the afternoon but had seen a few things in the school and recognised enough to know this wasn't the school for me either. They kept 3 guys for the afternoon and two women with zero personality - all the people who were outgoing seemed to have been sent home after the morning.
    Interview 4 (2 posts) I got the job! Everything fitted perfectly and the whole day just felt right. I wouldn't have known this without attending the previous two interviews.
    I think in the present climate people are just desperate to get a job and in some respects are not always considering whether the school is right for them. I got the first job I applied for last year (maternity cover) and then got the second (a fixed term contract until this summer) but neither school was right for me in the longer term, it just enabled me to get my NQT year completed. I have been very lucky! Some people I trained with have not been so fortunate. All I can say was I followed the advice on this forum and it has really paid off :)
    Good luck to everyone still looking. I hope you all secure something for the summer. There are still quite a few jobs here with closing dates after the holidays (certainly in primary anyway).

19. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

]I think in the present climate people are just desperate to get a job and in some respects are not always considering whether the school is right for them. .

Totally agree with this as I did exactly that last year - I accepted a permanent job (regretted it almost instantly but did not want to back out) so have spent the last year in the wrong school for me. So much so that I handed in my notice for the end of the school year back in January without giving much thought of what I was going to do beyond! Luckily I have managed to find what feels like the perfect school. Though even if it is not I think I shall stay there forever simply so I do not have to go through the interview process again!!!

20. At least most of you are getting interviews! I haven't even been able to get that far!
    I've sent out must be nearing 25 applications now and heard either rejections or nothing at all!
    Do people think it improves your chances if you can visit a school before applying? I have been unable to as I was still studying at University in Bristol up until last week but now I'm back in Hampshire I can visit the schools I want to apply to, will this help do you think?
    It's really great to read of people in my position. Although a lot of my coursemates are in the exact same place, every now and then another person announces on facebook that they've got a job, it's sooo hard not to be disheartened when I love teaching so much and am soo despareate to start in September after waiting for soo long!
    Keep up the moral everyone! We will find that perfect place eventually, and when it comes how much better will it be after going through all of this!