1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

********** ...still banned ?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by avoca75, Oct 20, 2009.

1. avoca75

avoca75 New commenter

I had not heard about the debacle concerning the banning of ********** by a group of LEAs. until today and I was told the reason one LEA had banned it by a colleague who had worked in that authority last year. I know it isn't banned in our area and we are free to download it but I would be interested to know before I stop using it whether it has since been re-instated by any LEAs or learning grids.
    I

2. Not heard about this myself, but I know our school has had trouble as it's been filtered on a lot of the computers, due to the links to Twitter and the likes. Personally not been a problem for me as we've been without computers at school since week2!!!

3. Elsie Teacher

Elsie Teacher New commenter

The South West Grid for Learning have blocked, not 'banned' **********. This means that it is for individual schools to decide whether or not they want to unblock it on their networks. The reason for this filtering is because of the chat room. If a site has a social networking facility, it is seen as being too risky for use on computers where pupils may access it.
    I was tearing my hair out at the start of term, when I was trying to download my Letters and Sounds resources. My head has tried to unblock ********** and some items download easily, then others are filtered. This is highly frustrating. The only solution is to download at home and take a memory pen to school to print / view powerpoints. [​IMG]

4. Grrr - has been filtered by SWGfL because of links to 'chat sites'. My TA actually went home and printed off resources at there for our rol-play area today!

5. avoca75

avoca75 New commenter

Interesting! My colleague insists its use is banned as opposed to blocked and it really isn't an issue about ********** itself or its links to chat sites but concerns the background of its founder. Further to that I really can't go into details as I would hate to spread something that was unfounded and untrue. I simply wondered if the situation had been clarified since it blew up last year.

6. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Sorry to disagree but some LAs have banned all ********** products in their schools even those downloaded and printed by teachers at home. They have told staff they must remove ********** resources from all classes. The reason given has nothing to do with filtering.

7. SWGfL has definitely filtered it - the response I got when I emailed to ask why included
    "<font face="Verdana" size="2">There is a child safety
    problem posed by school based access to such things as third party chat rooms,
    blogs, interactive email and social sites, including where they are integrated
    into otherwise useful and even valuable website based learning materials...</font><font face="Verdana" size="2">SWGfL will block or
    "filter" a website where it is on notice that it offers learning materials but
    also has interactive components. Where previously only the interactive sections
    of a website may have been filtered, it is now considered that in order to
    better safeguard children the filter should now extend to the entire website."</font>

8. Elsie Teacher

Msz 'Sorry to disagree but some LAs have banned all ********** products in their schools even those downloaded and printed by teachers at home. They have told staff they must remove ********** resources from all classes. The reason given has nothing to do with filtering. '

How ridiculous! [​IMG]

9. mancminx

mancminx New commenter

I am very greatful to **********. I think they do wonderful things and can help make our jobs as teachers easier-especially when we need resources. However, I do get fed up of seeing some of their posters around classrooms.
    I certainly dont wish to offend anyone especailly those that work at SB, but i do hope you can understand what i mean.

10. avoca75

avoca75 New commenter

My colleague was told to remove all ********** products from her room regardless of whether they had been printed at home. No LEA would ban a site without a very serious reason...I don't think I can spell it out any clearer than that. However I had hoped that the reasons were not true and that the bans/blocks had been lifted, sadly this does not seem to be the case so I will no longer be using the site.
    Thanks everyone for your current information,I appreciate it.

11. Msz

I'm afraid the reason given is far from ridiculous.

12. Elsie Teacher

'Everyone?' Doesn't ********** have a say?
    Please read this post in answer to rumblings last year. Then look at your brightly coloured and labelled 2D shape cards and ask yourself how offensive they can be!!!??????? Save our Sundays!!!

28 Posted by: ********** 19/11/2008 at Hi All!

We are just as confused as everyone. Through detective work and the grapevine, we have worked out which LAs seem to have a problem and have contacted them several times, and by several means.

Unfortunately, there is a wall of silence from most, and the one that did reply simply wrote a two-lined letter saying they had been advised to block by a 'higher authority'.

We are aware of some of the rumours and can only reassure everyone that there is no reason whatsoever that the site should be blocked. If anyone has ever seen anything on our website which is cause for concern, we would appreciate being told so that we can investigate.

There's no viruses, no ilegal content, everything's free, we're always professional when corresponding with visitors, and there's no contageous disease associated with displaying our materials in schools, certainly no CP issues... there simply doesn't seem to be any sense in blocking it.

We suggest that people visit the site and make up their own minds. If they see something that offends (we'd be mortified if this was the case), then don't use it. If you like what you see, then use it.

There's nothing more we can add - you guys seem to know more of the whisperings than we're privelidged to know. It'san annoyance, but does not affect the running or popularity of the site - we're still growing at a faster rate than ever, for one simple reason: we provide what people want, for free. What can be wrong with that?

On behalf of the whole Team (and the elves too), we'd like to say 'thank you' for sticking by us :)

SB
    </td></tr></table>

13. avoca75

avoca75 New commenter

Thanks for this. It is a very carefully worded statement and does not address what I have been led to believe is the reason for the ban/block. which has absolutely nothing to do with the actual site which is very good.Its a shame but I will be making my own resources from now on.Thank you anyway.

14. Msz

Of course ********** has a say but a statement on TES isn't going to lift the ban imposed by certain LAs which seems to be spreading rather than being resolved.
    As has been stated the reasons given are extremely serious.

15. Msz

Well that's ok then!

16. Hi Msz, would the reason stop you from using it or from recommending that anyone else does?
    We use it alot at school but these threads are making me uncomfortable?

17. Msz

Yes

18. It really annoys me that folk are happy to pass on the gossip and rumours without actually knowing the facts. Does anyone here actually know the truth?
    When this first started, I did hear something from a colleague in another authority that was very damning and very damaging, hence it's not something I paid any heed to. There is no way of verifying these rumours and there are laws to protect people against this kind of harassment.
    ********** provide a free service, they ask nothing in return. Use it or don't. Love it or hate it. End of.

19. Elsie Teacher

'Free' as in we're not lining the pockets of someone dodgy at SB!

20. Elsie Teacher

I agree. Is 'Msz' short for mysterious?