1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Still awaiting back pay/moving up the pay scale

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by badger18, Dec 31, 2015.

1. badger18

badger18 New commenter

I started a new school in September but they agreed I would move up the pay scale as usual having met the targets in my previous school (I'm on main pay scale).

However this hasn't ever appeared in writing..and still hasn't happened. I got paid again today on my old pay and with no back pay.

Is there a deadline for which they must do this/have done this by? Surely they can't just withhold it for half the year then just increase the back pay. I am entitled to the money by now in my opinion and am depending on it. :(

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

you need to see your school's pay policy for any dates...

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Pay is usually backdated. How was it agreed in the first place; do you have any evidence? I am afraid that they might be trying to get out of it if they haven't informed you in writing. Really, it should have been in your offer letter. Did they say what your pay was going to - important now that there are no official intermediate points on the scales? In terms of dates, as Strawbs says, this might be in the school pay policy - ask for it if you haven't seen it yet.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That is very generous of them - many schools don't do that any more.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Ah. Oh dear.

The problem here is that there is no proof. And it may just be that you misunderstood, or they misunderstood . . . and so they have in all honesty been paying you since September at the rate that they believe was agreed.

I have said it before, I'll say it again: when you have something verbally, rush off and e-mail a confirmation:

This is to confirm the agreement reached over the phone today with Mr Green that on joining your school on 1st September 2015 as a teacher of English I shall be paid on the equivalent of M5, having met all performance targets in my current school.

I look forward to joining you and making a valuable contribution to the continuing success of Rucklewirth School.

If you got it wrong they will e-mail back and say so. If they don't, then this is your proof.

Why yes. If they agreed that salary, it should have been paid from 1st September, in the September pay packet.

Did you not query it at that point?

All you can do now is go and speak to whoever it was promised this, and see what they say.

Best wishes for 2016

5. badger18

badger18 New commenter

The deadline for performance managements to be agreed is the 31st October for most schools so I didn't expect my new pay before then, and for most it doesn't kick in until the November pay. I provided evidence for having met my targets at my previous school.

Verbally we have agreed exactly what part of the pay scale I am moving to (m4 to m5) but I realise I should have gotten that in writing. However I wouldn't say they were being 'kind'. They also knew from my application and interview my pay scale so them misunderstanding is no excuse.

They are telling me I'm being moved up but just not doing it... Perhaps I need to ask for the pay policy and ask for something in writing.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I still haven't received mine, although I do have a letter saying it's going to happen, it just hasn't yet!!

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

At least you have something, but I still think you need a figure rather than a salary point, as there is no official published scale, so m5 might mean different things in different schools. I am also not sure that most schools are sticking to October for decision making - that was the rule a few years ago, but PRP makes the process more complicated so schools are likely to need more time. However, your case should have been different as the decison was made before you started.