1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Still a thing in schools?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by lovejoy_antiques, Feb 1, 2020.

1. lovejoy_antiques

lovejoy_antiques Senior commenter

When I was at school in the eighties/early nineties I can't remember hearing anyone tell a teacher to F off. You'd hear word on the grapevine that someone in another class/year had done it. Along with tales of the hefty consequences imposed etc.

When I started teaching in 2004 there seemed to be slippery characters in management trying to muddy the waters. For example a focus on was the child swearing directly at you or swearing about the situation? Or was the child swearing at you or were they talking to their friend? (I remember being told a child was swearing at their friend not me, so a lesser sanction was going to be set, even though the child had said "f off you bald, bearded c**t". Even though the friend apparently being spoken to was neither bald or bearded like I was!).

Then there was the wonderful and empowering system of witness statements from students. This meant totally rotten groups controlled by mean spirited bullies just got worse as they collectively had the power to convince the powers at be that the teacher was lying about them for no reason!

Now it seems telling a teacher to F off means you set the kid a detention and contact home. Hence on long term supply you are adding an extra hour on your day because someone has chosen to abuse you. A system guaranteed to lead to teachers developing selective hearing!

I'm sure in the real world telling your boss to F off is still a sackable offence. However many schools seem to be setting students up for a life of disappointment by not sending out the clear message that verbal abuse will not be tolerated. Or is it just different rules for supply teachers who seek some redress? Is swearing at staff still a big thing in other schools or is it just the ones I've worked at that see it as no big deal?

Also do other schools also use an ADHD diagnosis or 'a lot going on outside of school' as mitigating circumstances? And are the 25-30 other kids in the room, whom which these events are always played out in front of ever told the reason why it is ok for their classmate to behave like that but not them? When I was at school if we all saw one kid getting minimal sanctions for verbally abusing a teacher I'm sure we'd have all been on the bandwagon!

ms honey, alex_teccy, Alice K and 2 others like this.
  2. agathamorse

agathamorse Senior commenter

At one school I worked at being told to F off by a student meant my teaching wasn't engaging enough! According to SLT. Until the boy later told him to F off too - then the boy was excluded!

At a grammar school now, pupils swearing at staff means immediate internal exclusion, a detention and parents being brought in for a meeting. We rarely get sworn at.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I haven't been sworn at by a student for some years now.

Alice K, pepper5 and BertieBassett2 like this.
  4. lovejoy_antiques

This week I was called a "d***head and a b***yman on Monday. Told to F off on Thursday and got two p*** off's on Friday. I feel like the Craig David of verbal abuse. Hope I can chill on Sunday without too much anxiety about what awaits on Monday!

alex_teccy, tonymars, Alice K and 3 others like this.
  5. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Oh dear, this did amuse me a little - although it definitely shouldn't have. How have things got to this point?

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Zero tolerance headship.
    Not each person inventing a nicey nicey way to win the kids over.
    So that when the kids are not won over it has to mean the teacher is simply horrible. Official line.
    Paving the way for them to demand only nicey nicey Haribo studded team game lessons.

But actually
    It's not about relationships.
    It's about expectations.
    From the top.
    That's what it takes.
    Equal expectations.
    Sit down.
    Listen.
    Try.
    Results follow.
    Kids get qualifications.
    Good for the school!

How on earth can they be missing this?!

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

A school that has a culture where students can swear at members of staff and get away with it has an inadequate management structure.

Not rocket Science is it.

8. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

I have found it’s rare to be directly sworn at in mainstream. In special schools it can vary. I have found attitudes vary, some schools are consistent, some schools it depends who in the hierarchy you swear at that determines the consequences.

If it causes you anxiety then it’s time to ask your agency to find you somewhere else. If you stay you’ll find yourself getting innured to it or, even worse, you start using bad language yourself. Trust me on this....once you get out of a school like that you realise what they put you through.

9. lovejoy_antiques

I'm just amazed at how being verbally abused has become an occupational hazard in a lot of schools I've worked at. I can only talk from my own experience, I've been to a couple of nicer schools in village locations which had generally been better. But where I am at present has a lot of swearing at staff going on, especially when students can't get their own way. Hence befriendment seems to be being employed as a survival strategy by some of the struggling permanent staff!

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

At the schools where SLT are experienced teachers, abuse is relatively rare (anecdotal evidence from friends, ex-colleagues and relatives who have children in these schools). In some schools, the parents come in and swear at/otherwise abuse staff.

11. donrickles

donrickles New commenter

Swearing out loud is common place in secondary academies. Approaches vary from an instant detention sanction to verbal warning.

Being directly sworn at is rare. It happened to me a week or so a go a Y7 girl who did no work, had no attention span, had no book, said she didn’t attend often. Was last lesson of day. She was removed by on call and detained. Before she was removed she apparently texted grandad to come in and complain about how she was being treated.

haven’t been asked back to the school, I won’t loose sleep over that.

lovejoy_antiques likes this.
  12. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

There we go.
    Report bad behaviour.
    Then on yer way pal.

lovejoy_antiques likes this.
  13. lovejoy_antiques

I don't think you can win on supply. 'tactically ignore' poor behaviour and verbal abuse and it escalates, kids will push the boundaries until they find the edges. Leading to concerns about your classroom management and the lack of learning going on. Report it once too often (or even at all) and it's shoot the messenger!