1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

?Sticks and Stones and Mobile Phones? Teachers Perceptions of Cyber-bullying.

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by James_Derby, Jan 18, 2011.

1. I am an education studies student at the University of Derby and I am doing a research study about cyber-bullying and the title is:

“Sticks and Stones and Mobile Phones” Teachers Perceptions of Cyber-bullying.

The study is looking at cyber-bullying between students, from the perspective of teachers.

Although the study as a whole is looking at teachers experiences of student to student cyber-bullying, this survey focuses on what teachers think are the most commonly used technologies and what teachers think are typical characteristics are of cyber-bullies. I have also included questions related to general experience.
    I would be extremely grateful if you could take 5 minutes to fill out this questionnaire, I have included a full invitation to participation and notes regarding withdrawal. The following link is not as compact as I would like but it will take you directly to the questionnaire.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dF9WX2oyRmtmSXFBc0EweHhHYW40blE6MQ

Cyber-bullying can leave pupils both hurting and confused. In many cases they can't even identify their aggressor. The range of possible assaults is massive from stalking to impersonation. My review of literature so far seems to be suggesting that cyber-bullying as a phenomenon is on the increase and is likely to be effecting students at a younger and younger age.
    Just to clarify that although it is an important issue, and one which has cropped up frequently in the literature I have read, I am not looking at teachers who have been cyber-bullied by students and or other members of staff. That is another study in itself and I have decided that it is necessary to leave it out this time. Saying that I encourage a free discussion on this issue in this thread, regarding issues related or unrelated to my study. The questionnaire above is also being distributed to teachers at a number of schools in my local area.
    I will leave the questionnaire open until Monday 4th April.
    Thank you for your time, and a special thank you for those who have responded to my questionnaire.
    I hope everyone has a productive winter, spring and summer.
    James Chick
    Final Year Undergraduate