1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sticking to the speed limit

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jun 5, 2011.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

i beleive i am right in saying you can report such offences.keep a pencil and paper handy and take logos and diver nimbers off back if they have any. repeor them to your local cops
    other wise i simmply pull over let them go past and carry one.......often they are out to imtimidate.

2. mousey80

mousey80 Occasional commenter

I understand. I get undertaken regularly on a 20mph road - people driving up the bus lane to go 10 mph faster for 400m. Pathetic.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

or number plate ...and locations/times/events
    or you can realise there are always ar se hole divers out there

4. I got flashed by an idiot today going 70 on a 2 lane motorway... I was in the inside lane, there was a coach in the other lane, and a junction joining, where I could see somebody was indicating to join the motorway, and I knew that if I gave in to the idiot behind me there would be an accident involving me and the car trying to join. I considered slowing down even more, but figured it was best to ignore the idiot behind me, until it was safe to pull into the outside lane and let him get past.
    Driving home this evening I got stuck behind somebody going very slow over Snake Pass. Having had a very long day (Sheffield to Liverpool and back again in one day is not fun) I really wanted to get home. But I know that just because I'm used to country roads and Snake Pass, not everybody else is. I hung back, turned my stereo up (to keep me alert) and passed when it was safe; which wasn't for about 10 miles!

5. giraffe

giraffe New commenter

I wish I'd learned how to drive years ago and would now be much more able to deal with the thugs and loonies out there on the road.
    Just a few weeks on from passing my test, I've been out less than a dozen times and have already been both overtaken and undertaken while going through villages at 28mph and have also been subject to a road rage incident when I braked before joining a roundabout. This incident happened on a pass plus lesson with my instructor sitting next to me. He was amazed.
    Last week I was wanting to turn right on a steep uphill road with heavy nose-to-nose traffic coming the other way. A thoughtful driver paused and made a gap and then flashed me to turn in front of him. As I turned smoothly across, we were both horrified when the Land Rover behind him mounted the pavement and undertook him, trying to cut across me!
    It's hard to gain confidence when you are still getting used to a new car, driving alone and navigating at the same time as being hassled and harrassed by probably unlicenced and uninsured so-and-sos.
    I've got some P plates - not sure if that will make it better or worse. Some of these drivers are obviously bullies and appear to enjoy the outrage they cause.
    Many are illegal drivers and will just walk away from the car they are driving if it is involved in a crash.

6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

If it is happening a lot, it may well be the latter - you are driving nervously, not giving any indication of your intentions. Another mistake so many 'slow' drivers make is believe their speedo. These are always wrong and optimistic (makes the car manufacturers lie with performance and ensures you won't get done speeding) BUT if you are keeping the speedo reading to 28/29 (and wobbling, braking as you pay more attention to the dials than other motorists) then you may be more at fault here than you think. For you are very likely doing 25mph in reality and dithering all over the place. Sorry, this is not as personal and harshly meant, just something you can consider? And why can't you move over, anyhow?

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

I was doing 32mph, according to my speedo, when I got overtaken, at speed, as I was driving past the local school. It shocked me, another shock was caused by an old lady in Eastbourne, I was driving along a roadand saw a car appeoaching, suddenly it turned in front me to go into a road on my left. No signals, just turned. I slammed on my brakes and hit the horn. An overmade up elderly lady mouthed sorry at me. I was shaking after that one and I was doing 30mph.

8. There is a village near me that is famous for having leather-clad policemen hiding behind a hedge with a radar gun, consequently everybody obeys the speed limit - except this idiot one day who overtook me after sitting right up my backside accompanied by hand gestures, roared off and promptly got caught. Sweet justice. I laughed.

9. The only way to deal with 'tailgaters' is to pull over, in a safe stretch of road, and let them pass. Try to do this as soon as you can so as to avoid getting over anxious or nervous.

10. I think there's a difference between being careful in villages/towns and holding up other drivers unnecessarily. During my long commute down miles of country lanes, I often come across drivers doing 20/30mph on '60' roads because they are not used to it. Knowing the area like the back of my hand, I can easily manage 50/60mph safely (though I always slow down when I hit the villages) and while I never tailgate or intimidate, I am always very grateful when such drivers pull over and allow me past.

11. giraffe - your P plates might be making things worse for you rather than better. My husband is learning to drive at the moment and I take him out as supervising driver. On some trips we have reached areas he is not ready for and we have swapped over so I can get us through the tricky section. The L plates stay on the car and although I drive in my normal way I find other cars are much more agressive towards me. It seems people assume that if a car has L plate on the driver must be holding them up and they tailgate then roar past. It seems that people see an L plate and go crazy, without the L plates I only get the standard compliment of nutters. You might be experiencing a similar phenomenon with you P plates and might find people more considerate rather then less if you ditch them.

12. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

yes
    It isn't your fault the manufacturer has chosen to set the speedo to read incorrectly.
    If you borrow one of those little garmin sat nav things and set it to show your speed you will know if you are doing 25 in a 30, 34 in a 40, 42 in a 50.
    Travelling well below the speed limit but still too fast to allow other drivers to overtake within the limit is going to annoy them. It looks as if you are being deliberately aggravating.
    I never get any of the abuse you are receiving and I know I drive at the limit. Even nutter drivers accept the limit is a reasonable speed for others. I think Dumpty has hit the nail on the head here.

13. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

It differs in different parts of the country. One thing is to hold your nerve when they try intimidation. If you are going at the speed limit (and speedometers are NOT as far out as suggested) they can sod off. It is your licence you wish to hold on to. If they want to drive like nutters it is up to them. It can be frustrating being stuck behind a slow coach, but there is not much you can do about it except wait for the road to be clear and safe to overtake.
    I think, where I live, most people are going slower in order to save fuel. Traffic on the motorway tends to cruise along at between 60 and 70. It used to be the case that the outside lane was full of cars doing 80 to 90. I have slowed down for the same reason, as long as you don't unnecessarily hold people up (like hogging the middle lane at 55) you can conserve fuel. Did you know that the difference between driving at 60 and driving at 70 is 15% more fuel?

14. I find people are much more agressive and likely to overtake when I am in a smaller car. I used to drive a Ka and was always being overtaken as I generally stick to the speed limit. I now drive a Focus and drive at the same speed, maybe slower as the car isn't as nippy and I have a baby in the back.... but far fewer people overtake.
    It isn't nice when you are being tail gated by an agressive driver, I will pull in the let them overtake if I get fed up.... and I usually find if people overtake you always catch up with them at the next roundabout, lights or traffic jam.
    Giraffe, just try and stick to what you are doing and ignore other drivers. If they are getting peed off with a normal driver, that is their problem and not yours... so ease off the accelerator and let their blood pressure rise.

15. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

A few years ago I got my very first speeding ticket for doing 55mph on a 50mph dual carriageway. I was gutted and since then always stick to 50mph on that stretch of road (it is notorious and for a dual carriageway has bits on it where the limit drops to 40mph for no apparent reason. There was even a FB campaign to get the 40mph rescinded).
    Anyway, imagine my horror a week after my ticket to be tootling along a 48-50mph and to be overtaken by a police car! No flashing light. No reason. Nothing. I phoned the 'Traffic Safety' peeps (aka speed camera cash cow dept) and explained what I had seen and they told me 'no way. Police cars always stick to the speed limit unless chasing a suspect when the blue light and/or siren is on'.
    Lying barstewards! [​IMG]

16. baitranger

baitranger Senior commenter

I think it's interesting to think about why people drive faster than the speed limit.
    For the average car journey of 6.9 miles, the difference between travelling at 30 mph and 40 mph is about 3.5 minutes.Even if the journey were made in order to rush someone to hospital there would still be the risk of a fatal accident to be balanced against the extra risk potentially caused by a 3.5 minute slower journey.
    Of course, most car journeys are not made to take people to hospital in an emergency so the risk is almost never justified.
    Traffic lights, traffic congestion etc usually result in someone who drives faster merely waiting longer at traffic lights.
    Therefore the reasons for driving faster for the average car journey are not to do with getting there quicker: it's probably to do with impatience, a subjective sense of power and control and the sheer enjoyment of driving fast and a sense of superiority over others who drive slower.No doubt there are other psychological reasons.
    Long distance drivers such as coach drivers and lorry drivers will get to their destinations significantly faster by driving faster however: a 200 mile journey will take about 30 minutes less at 85mph than at 70mph, but only if a constant speed can be achieved. On today's roads, that is very unlikely so the chances are that the lorry driver who tailgates you is impatient for his tea break or under pressure because of traffic congestion.That can never justify him/her risking your life and the lives of others on the road. Much more stringent enforcement is needed.

17. In the last 4 years I have been 'done' 4 times for speeding. Ater many years of blameless motoring. This has been at the hands of 4 different police forces. I was lucky to have been offered a speeding course by Northamptonshire police. If I had not I would be currently driving very nervously with 9 points on my licence.
    So I am conscious of speed limits 100% of the time while driving. Nothing/ no-one will intimidate me into a situation where I could lose my licence. Not to mention what would be horrendous increases in insurance subsequently. I am continuously amazed at how many drivers go over speed limits. Surely they must be getting points on their licence. I regularly drive on the A1 which has a number of stretches with 50 mph speed limits, so I keep to the limit whilst being overtaken by very large numbers. Why are those speed cameras not going off continuously? They don't seem to.
    I am beginning to feel victimised.

18. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Of course, some of you will feel intimidated. I generally do not.
    My car has "cruise control" which allows me to set the speed limit, and the car will do this up hill, and down dale, all day. If being tailgated I just hit the off button, let the car slow, then hit the on button again. they have to slow down, and if they resume their position on my bumper I am happy to repeat the procedure. In extreme circumstances I will hit the brakes if being tailgated, and repeat that until they back off.
    I must be a really annoying git to follow, but I won't be intimidated.

19. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Coaches and lorries (dependent on HGV class, but certainly articulated HGVs) have a governor device. Lorries cannot exceed 60, coaches may be a bit higher. So such drivers have a top speed they cannot exceed. Of course this means that they may get extra frustrated when behind someone going at less than their maximum speed.

20. oliverferret

oliverferret New commenter

To move over requires somewhere safe - I did move over but it was some distance before it was safe to do so.

- I was doing 30 and was not "wobbliing or braking" prior to the idiot in the lorry flashing, hooting and tailgating.

dumpty your reply is patronising and makes all sorts of assumptions. I am an experienced driver - I drive over 500 miles per week and have had 30+ years of driving and up until recently I regularly drove a 7.5 tonne lorry. The only change in my driving is that I now adhere strictly to the speed limit - the lorry driver obviously didn't feel that 30mph was a reasonable speed on a Sunday on a rural road - experience has taught me that this is when our local police are likely to be lurking with a speed camera. What makes me nervous is when other drivers are aggressive - overtake dangerously or tailgate - all driving behaviour which heightens the chances of an accident.