1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stickers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by EBC, Sep 14, 2019.

1. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Any good ideas on how you deal with stickers as a reward?

I give out stickers for all sorts of things, good behavior, asking a good question, being helpful etc. It usually goes on their shirt or dress. But of course it falls off.

I've thought about having a card with name on to stick them on, but I don't like it as it shows if someone only has one or two and others who have more. I thought about them sticking them on the back of the reading record but that involves them sifting through to look for theirs.

What do you do?

Theyre Year 1.

2. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

Set up Class Dojo. It’s free and the kids love it!

3. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

What's that? Lol...

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

EBC, what you're saying in one of the reasons we abandoned mass use of stickers a few years ago. The only ones used in our school now are the very special and rarely given out Head Teacher's stickers.

5. Over_the_hill

Google Class Dojo, set yourself up as a teacher and add your class and the children’s names. Set some categories (or just use theirs). I have ‘Super sitting’, ‘Great tidying up’, ‘Trying hard’ etc etc.
    Each time you catch a child doing something good you give them a point. It’s visual and the kids love it. You shouldn’t be buying stickers with your own money!

EBC likes this.
  6. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Thanks OTH. I'll look it up today.

Just to be clear, I don't buy the stickers with my own money. They are used in books, but also given out.

Im surprised by SN response. I've always used stickers; is it not used as much in other schools?

7. Over_the_hill

I don’t use them, they are a pain. The children fiddle with them and put them over their eyes and mouth and then tap their friend to make them laugh. Or they drop off after five minutes and they want another.

EBC likes this.
  8. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Yes!

9. Over_the_hill

Sorry if my post was unfair. Other sensible, mature Year One children are available.

10. saluki

saluki Lead commenter

I used them all the time in FE. Post 16 students love them. Adults love them.
    Why not let the child choose where to stick them? Some keep them in their planner, some stick them on the fridge at home, some couldn't care less and just chuck them away. Or you could sick them on a wall chart in the classroom. you could ask children to vote where they think the stickers should be stuck.
    p.s. Parents love it when little Freddie comes home with a sticker. Often plastering it all over facebook.

11. EBC

EBC Occasional commenter

Wasn't unfair OTH, don't worry.

I've had a look at classdojo. Its quite sweet. I wonder if school will go for it. I wonder if it'll take up lots of teacher time??

Thanks saluki.

12. Over_the_hill

It doesn't take up any time once you are set up, and if you have an interactive board the kids love going up and touching their avatar to add themselves a point. No longer than peeling off a sticker anyway!

13. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I met a child the other day who hates stickers - when they gave her one at school there were tears!