1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stick at it!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by HJenx74, Sep 2, 2011.

1. HJenx74

HJenx74 New commenter

Hi,
    Good luck to all starting PGCEs this September. I just wanted to share with you a few words of advice. This time last year I started the PGCE in Primary, I was a mature student (36) with two children and I hadn't worked since having my sons - seven years before.
    In the first week at uni, we were bombarded with info and lectures and homework. We had to read academic journals and critically review them - it had been 15 years since my undergraduate degree - and I panicked. In those first few days, I seriously considered packing it in as I felt completely out of my depth, but I stuck it out, and I'm so glad I did.
    My first placement I found to be very difficult and again I considered quitting but I didn't. My subsequent placements were completely different and so productive.
    The PGCE is not easy, but it really isn't all that hard, provided you are organised and committed, and get on with assignments as soon as you can.
    I'm just about to start my first job, which is in Y6. Looking back on the past year, I can honestly say it was worth sticking at it. So, be tenacious and persevere, it will be worth it.
    Hx

2. HJenx74

HJenx74 New commenter

Hi,
    Good luck to all starting PGCEs this September. I just wanted to share with you a few words of advice. This time last year I started the PGCE in Primary, I was a mature student (36) with two children and I hadn't worked since having my sons - seven years before.
    In the first week at uni, we were bombarded with info and lectures and homework. We had to read academic journals and critically review them - it had been 15 years since my undergraduate degree - and I panicked. In those first few days, I seriously considered packing it in as I felt completely out of my depth, but I stuck it out, and I'm so glad I did.
    My first placement I found to be very difficult and again I considered quitting but I didn't. My subsequent placements were completely different and so productive.
    The PGCE is not easy, but it really isn't all that hard, provided you are organised and committed, and get on with assignments as soon as you can.
    I'm just about to start my first job, which is in Y6. Looking back on the past year, I can honestly say it was worth sticking at it. So, be tenacious and persevere, it will be worth it.
    Hx

3. Congrats on getting your first job, I think that's going to be one of the most challenging parts!
    I started my PGCE this week, and was with my class yesterday (Primary) and I must admit that already I am looking ahead at our handbook and arranging everything that needs arranging as soon as possible. I need to keep on top of it as I've seen lots of trainees that have been good in the classroom but they are scrabbling about last second sorting the paperwork and evidence and trying to tick off those last few standards. I'm incredibly lucky that if we stick by our provider's week by week timetable that the standards are all covered, so I know that as long as I am ticking those things off that I'm getting there bit by bit.
    We've been warned by the course director that it will be tough, there will be tears and tiredness, that we will be working sometimes in the evenings and through the weekend, but that it will also be the most enriching and rewarding experience.
    Good luck to everyone!

4. A big thank you for your 'stick at it' post. I was having a wobble moment reading TES forums thinking "what am I letting myself in for"??!! I'm starting a PGCE next week, just turned 37 with two children aged 8 & 6. The excitement at gaining a place had turned to fear of the workload. Going to get myself as organised as possible and just keep plodding on !
    Good luck with your new class. xx

5. Hi there,

Thanks for posting this. I'm a single, 35yr old Mum of 2 boys aged 7 & 5 & I just had my first day at Uni today doing PGCE Secondary English. As soon as we had finished for the day I left & burst into tears as I feel completely overwhelmed with all the information & incoming work load. I unfortunately have to travel 2 hours per day to get to Uni & am feeling as if I am never going to see my children, how did you manage? I am determined not to fall at the first hurdle but this evening I am really doubting my decision to do this. I would love love love to become a teacher but I'm not sure I'm prepared to give up my whole life to achieve it...

J

6. Congrats on landing your first job @HJenx74! I am also a teacher and I have loved every minute of it! I always tell my friends and student teachers, "After you make it through school, teacher jobs are just a piece of cake!" I hope you will agree with that =) You will have so much fun in your job! I love it so much that I sometimes forget it is a job at times! Good luck =)

Paul

7. Hi Nemo_6! I dont know if you read my thread on another page, but it sounds like I am in a similar situation to you, perhaps we can support each other? I too am a mature student (31) and I have 4 year old twins, they start school today, I start tommorow, so we have a huge transition ahead of us. I am doing secondary science, and I am the same as you in that I really want to teach, but not at the expense of my own childrens wellbeing. I have been having a mini meltdown about workload, timescales etc, for the last week or so and HJenx74 was kind enough to take some time to reasuure me, so i am hoping that I will fidn it hard but achievable. Lets hope we have some good times ahead as well as stress :), and good luck x

8. Just wanted to say thankyou for taking the time out to write this H.

Vx (another Mum)

9. Hi and congratulations on your job. I'm 37 with one child and I start a flexible Early Years and Primary PGCE on Saturday and am really nervous. The more I read about it the more nervous I get. So thanks for posting this, I hope it will help ease my nerves a bit!

10. allotmentlady

allotmentlady New commenter

Hi
    I am an NQT who did my PGCE in secondary English. I have 3 children aged 6,4, and 3. They were all under 5 last year when I did mine.
    I just started my first job.
    Don't panic. It is achievable but you have to be prepared to sacrifice some time with your kids.
    Still you get 13 weeks holiday a year. Apart from meetings, I have been leaving work by 4, having got in at 8.
    I then mark for an hour or so in the evening. The kids aren;t suffering . Let go of the guilt. In comparison to the younger crowd, us mums are so good at juggling !
    Good luck x

11. HI
    Just a small request really I am doing my PGCE next septemeber and it would be really great if those guys doing it this year could just keep us updated as to how you are all doing and coping
    Kazz
    (mum to jaz bout to turn 4)

12. Joanne2009

Joanne2009 New commenter

Hi,
    It is lovely to read such a positive post about teacher training whilst, also, being a mum.
    I am 37 and hope to apply to do a primary PGCE (or GTP) for next September. I have 2 children (7 and 3), both will be at full time school by then. I am a career changer and still work 3 days for the NHS. I plan on leaving this should I secure a place on the course.
    I start my first voluntary placement next week in a local primary school and I have another school lined up for 1/2 a day a week. I already have some experience within schools with my NHS job (I volunteer as a STEM ambassador).
    I do worry about how I will fit everything in and having my own 2 children makes things harder but I am very organised so hope that this will work in my favour. I did my MSc when my youngest was under 12 months and remember breastfeeding and doing assignments at the same time!
    Do keep us informed of how you are getting on.

13. Thank you so much for your encouraging words. I enrolled on my PGCE Maths course today after applying very late (career change), being interviewed on Tuesday and offered a place on Wednesday. The course starts on Monday, and i'm feeling a little overwhelmed and underprepared as its all happened so quickly. Fingers crossed it will all start to fall into place next week!

14. literacystars

literacystars New commenter

I'm so glad you posted this. I've had such a wobbler today: two difficult classes who were being quite personal in their opinions of me, and being asked to plan a lesson and subsequently realising it was damn difficult have both knocked me about. Add into that uni days which are incredibly overwhelming and I was feeling like I couldn't do this and that I'd made a massive mistake. Luckily, I chanced across your post and (in a non-mean way!) I'm so glad to see that it's not just me who's struggling!!

15. HI, I have just finished my PGCE and I had a total 4 hour commute to get to Uni. I also have two children. The key is to be super organised, food in the freezer you can just reheat, get your hubby to take over for a bit. it won't hurt your children, it didn't hurt mine - they enjoyed Daddy reading the bedtime stories etc.
    You can do this, just be really focussed and plan and make time for a break otherwise you will struggle!
    Good luck!