1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stews ... I may be stoopid but please help

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by ResourceFinder, Feb 19, 2011.

1. We have been trying to home cook etc for health and wealth reasons

However getting home at 6/7/later makes it a pain

Can I ... if the answer is "yes thickie" please say so and if it is "no thickie" please advise

Spend Sunday chopping everything up and then stick it in the fridge in tupperware

If so ... can I cook it chill it warm it

Or do I need to chop it then cook on day

Is it better to freeze or not

How would this go with a slo-cooker

Reading back this seems erratic nonsense but I know what I am asking really

2. We have been trying to home cook etc for health and wealth reasons

However getting home at 6/7/later makes it a pain

Can I ... if the answer is "yes thickie" please say so and if it is "no thickie" please advise

Spend Sunday chopping everything up and then stick it in the fridge in tupperware

If so ... can I cook it chill it warm it

Or do I need to chop it then cook on day

Is it better to freeze or not

How would this go with a slo-cooker

Reading back this seems erratic nonsense but I know what I am asking really

3. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

When we both worked, we had success with the do it on the day method. But, I'm not a fan of the plug in slow cooker. Our main cooker has a slow-cook option, you coule also set the timer if you want reduced cooking times. When we came in from work, we gave it a stir, added thickener and dumplings to cook in the last half-hour.
    Never failed.

4. Thanks for the reply [​IMG]

The issue is often the prep so I am hoping to find some easy method of prepping at the weekend

5. Yes
    No
    If it is more convenient for you
    Straight in on low with enough liquid to cover

Basically, just cut it up when you have time. Store it sensibly until you want to use it. Bung it in a slow cooker (defrosted) as you go to work. Thicken and tart it up when you get home!
    THEN you are back to storing the remainder! Always make double your immediate needs and freeze back the extra portions. Take out of freezer and put in fridge the night before you want to it and bung it in the microwave when you get in from work, or the nicer but slightly longer way, stick it in the oven as soon as you get in and eat it about 30 - 45 minutes later!
    Well, that's what I do!

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I wouldn't chop it and leave it in its raw state until the day I cooked it. The veg might wither or spoil and it will still take a while to cook anyway.
    Better to cook it on Sunday and refrigerate or freeze until the day you eat it. If anything, it will have improved for a day or two of allowing the juices and flavours to mingle and deepen.

7. Perhaps that is the secret

So ... cook ... freeze ... get out at night ... heat when I get home

Seems like a plan

Thanks

8. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

*creeps up behind Shifter and smacks him over the head with a large, cast-iron frying pan!*

Slow-cookers are <u>amazing</u>!....even the wonderful plug-in kind!

When I worked, I would get up 15 minutes early and prepare a stew. Using a razor-peeler and roughly chopping veg didn't take long. Then when I came home any thickening,adjusting seasoning, adding dumplings was a matter of minutes.

9. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I batch cook casseroley type meals at weekends, evenings, or during the holidays for use during the week when I'm too tired and hungry to bother cooking a proper meal from scratch, and store them in 2 portion bags in the freezer. At the moment, I've got bags of bolognese sauce, chilli, beef in guiness, coq au vin, chicken rasedar, and the beany bit for shepherdess pies in the freezer. Then all I have to sort out when I get home is the starchy and veggie bits of the meal. It is also more efficient to batch cook, energy wise (your own energy and the fuel bill!)

10. Shifter

Shifter New commenter

We've had two Bethanie - not a patch on our cooker

11. In winter/spring most of our meals are done like that. It means you can have lovely meals that might take ages to prepare any night of the week!
    Summer/autumn meals tend to be a bit more instant, "spag bol" done in 20 minutes, prawn and spinach muddle done in 10.... sort of Nigel Slater, Valentine Wotsit meals.

12. FrauSue

FrauSue New commenter

I'm a big fan of cooking everything at the weekend and freezing it to eat during the week.
    Nice stew recipes I've experimented with recently:
    Sausages, root veg, broccoli, red wine and gravy (chop sausages into 4 or 5 chunks, fry, then throw in veg for a few minutes, then add liquid and pop in oven for an hour)
    Beef and ale (toss the beef in flour and paprika, then fry, add veg of choice, stock [cube] and ale, then bung in oven for an hour and a half / a couple of hours)
    Pork, sage, cabbage, apple and cider (toss the pork in flour and sage then do as above).
    These are all very tasty cooked with halved baby potatoes on top of the dish - I find the potatoes and half the stew make one meal, then the other half can be eaten the next night with rice.
    Happy cooking!

13. Again, thanks all

Made beef stew yesterday, 3 lots, one for tes and 2 frozen

Did the same today with chicken stew

[​IMG]

14. anon468

anon468 New commenter

You made some just for us, RF??! [​IMG]
    *only teasing*

15. LoL

Durrr me