1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stevenage is 'the slums'

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Dec 17, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I worked on a pool at Hamilton's old house in Welwyn last summer for a mate. Bloke who runs India Force One owns it now.

Not very slummy there. Very nice. Even the chocolate hobnobs were double size.

Mind you, Hamilton looks like a member of a low-rent 90s rap band in that photo. Can't take him seriously.

nomad, lardylady and vannie like this.
  3. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Lives in Monaco. Nothing else to say.

4. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

Sounds like Stevenage's version of Ali G. No doubt he had a massif and was born in the heart of the Stevenage ghetto.

For real.

emerald52 and nomad like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed... he is well ''street''.

Brap

nomad likes this.
  6. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I remember watching him when he was a kid on some TV programme. I think it might have been on an Esther Rantzen show. He was driving carts. He looked to have a nice family and seemed pretty middle class. Go-karting is not cheap so he was hardly brought up in poverty.

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

peter12171, lanokia and nomad like this.
  7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I love Hamilton for his talent. He has always been a tiny bit of a plum though. He’s one of those very talented people that still manages to come across predominantly as a very irritating little brother type.

emerald52 likes this.
  8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Strange how such a tiny bloke can be such a monumental tosser.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

So help me out here please-when a black person speaks, how am I to know when they are saying what they actually think rather than expressing the sentiment you describe here? Or does it just have to come out of a black person's mouth for your statement to apply?
    Please teach me more about how black people think!

friedgreentomatoes likes this.
  10. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I love Hamilton. Best show I've been to this year. :p

ROSIEGIRL likes this.
  11. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

This is also the truth

ROSIEGIRL likes this.
  12. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Works out well for Tom Cruise.

13. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Stevenage is better described as a series of banlieus than "slums".

14. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

The answer lies in the fact that most sports persons are just that. They didn't get to be sporty by being rocket scientists, so you have to take what comes out of their mouths as being unconnected to a brain, on the whole. The solution is; don't bother to interview them, they all talk garbage. He fiddles his taxes too? Did I mention the Isle of Man private plane?

lanokia, harsh-but-fair and nomad like this.
  15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Is that the Manx plane without a tail?

[​IMG]

emerald52 likes this.
  16. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I've lived in the Banlieus. My daughter lived in Stevenage.

I'd say that is a fair comparison.

emerald52 and MAGAorMIGA like this.
  18. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Love F1. Lewis supremely talented. Like him very much . Who cares what he wears ? He rocks it . Who cares where he lives ? Self made man who was trying to remind people of his humble beginnings though his choice of language offended .Did try to backtrack . A degree of arrogance and ruthlessness required for the sport - that's fine by me ( unless your name is Bradley Wiggins ). Agree most sports men / women aren't great when interviewed - garbled, repetitive , shouty, meaningless, stating the obvious - can often depends on the circumstances / quality of the questions .....

19. vinnie24

vinnie24 Lead commenter

I observe with some black/asian youngsters (and even white. I have met a couple of Ali G type characters) a need to act in a way they perceive as being black. The trouble is that many of the things associated with black people in the media and in plays/movies/music are mostly negative stereotypes. The gangster from the projects/slums, the drug dealer, the pimp, the absent father, the criminal, the terrorist, the uneducated slang talking marijuana smoker. Impressionable youngsters are influenced by this imagery and are duly brainwashed into acting in a certain way, leading to them making bad choices and limiting their educational outcomes. Black people need to fight against this negative portrayal of their race not play on it.

Is Hamilton playing on this stereotype? I don't know him and I don't know Stevenage. I saw him on TV when he was a kid. If he was living in a slum it must have been the posh end of the slum because his dwelling had a garage for his go-kart.

Oscillatingass likes this.
  20. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I guess we have all said something and immediately regretted the terminology we have used/tried to backtrack. Fortunately we don't do this in front of national TV/millions of people. As others have said, I think he was trying to put something cross and worded it quite badly. Not a mortal sin I would say.

I think he is an extremely talented individual (when it comes to driving). As a person I think much of what he says isn't worth listening to or remembering.

Let he who has not sinned.......

Nebka likes this.