1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Sterilising questions- please help!

Discussion in 'Parenting' started by goonergirl2009, Jan 23, 2011.

1. goonergirl2009

goonergirl2009 New commenter

Hi- my daughter Charlotte is 16 weeks old and I am starting to introduce some formula feeds alongside my breastfeeding but am struggling to work out if my steriliser is ok or not! I have the Tommee Tippee electric steam steriliser but when I use it the lid does not seem really tight and there is lots of condensation on the inside of the lid and the bottles. Also, the rubber bit on the bottom has an orange/ brown tinge to it- even though I have descaled it and used the correct amount of water. Is this normal? I bought it from new but I am not convinced it is working properly...
    Also, do the bottles become' unsterile' as soon as the lid is lifted? The formula box says to make up each bottle when it is needed but does that mean running the steriliser each time? If this is the case then why is there space for six bottles? I am confused!
    Any help would be really appreciated! Thank you in advance!
    x

2. goonergirl2009

Hi- my daughter Charlotte is 16 weeks old and I am starting to introduce some formula feeds alongside my breastfeeding but am struggling to work out if my steriliser is ok or not! I have the Tommee Tippee electric steam steriliser but when I use it the lid does not seem really tight and there is lots of condensation on the inside of the lid and the bottles. Also, the rubber bit on the bottom has an orange/ brown tinge to it- even though I have descaled it and used the correct amount of water. Is this normal? I bought it from new but I am not convinced it is working properly...
    Also, do the bottles become' unsterile' as soon as the lid is lifted? The formula box says to make up each bottle when it is needed but does that mean running the steriliser each time? If this is the case then why is there space for six bottles? I am confused!
    Any help would be really appreciated! Thank you in advance!
    x

3. I play it a bit fast and loose with the old sterilising I think. If I sterilise 4 bottles, I am happy to lift the lid off, taake out one bottle, replace lid and then go back when I need the next bottle. Strictly speaking they are unsterile once llid is opened but one of my settings resterilises every 6 hours so I don;t think it's too big a deal.

I have an electric avent one and my understanding is it's the steam that sterilises the bottles so it's only natural to get condensation inside the lid / bottles. A google search shows others have the same problems as you re: lid not fitting, colour on bottom. Maybe return it as faulty? I can recommend the avent one!

4. Hi goonergirl
    I agree with glitterkid in that in theory once the lid is off, they're no longer sterile but I also do the same; getting the breat pump bits put and then leaving dummies/bottles in the sterliser til needed.
    IF you are going to replace, I too can recommend AVENT but we have the microwave set; 6mins and it's done. I got ours at the end of the ASDA baby sale last year - it cost £10. I think the sale is on at the moment or maybe coming to an end; it's worth a look if there's one nearby
    pogo x

5. handrail

handrail New commenter

hi goonergirl. We've been using the tommee tippee electric steriliser since LO was born (he's 18 weeks now). The condensation thing is normal on the lid and bottles but not sure about the orange/brown tint - ours doesnt have this. I never knew if we were making our formula bottles up the right way but our health visitor said our way was fine. We boil the kettle, leave to cool for up to 30 minutes then pour the water into each bottle and put the teat and lid on - we add the formula when needed and heat the bottle up in the tommee tippee bottle warmer. LO has survived so far :) We only use 4 bottles at a time.
    I think everything in the steriliser stays sterile for up to 24hours - so we leave dummies, breast pump in there and if I take the lid off I do it quickly xx

6. My baby is formula fed since birth and we have the same one- yes, it has the brown tinge, and yes, lots of condensation! I do it the old fashioned way- boil the kettle, wait half an hour, make up 6 feeds, put them in the back of the fridge. I know it's "not recommended" but it's how my mum did it- we all survived and my LO is none the worse!

7. Hi,
    A couple of things....
    I was using an Avent electric steriliser and making bottles up when I needed them but stopped when LO got quite serious thrush in her mouth. I have since moved to cold water sterilising because it just makes more sense and the milton is really good, I put all the bottles in the water at once and then just get each one out as I need it, the water stays sterile for 24 hours.
    That said friends of mine that still use their electric/microwave sterilisers make all 6 bottles up empty when it is done and then fill them as they need them.
    I would be quite careful especially as you are moving from breastfeeding etc and it is better to be safe than sorry!

8. I've always sterilised all my bottles together, then made them up empty. My personal opinion is that, as long as you've got really clean hands and try to touch all the components as little as possible, then they remain sterile and perfectly safe. I would be happy to leave them like that for up to 24 hours.
    Having said that, I have always also made up a day's worth of bottles and stored them in the fridge. I then just put them in a jug of boiling water for a few minutes to warm them. When he was little I had 8 bottles, so used to make up 6 and leave 2 sterile, but empty.
    My thoughts are that the guidelines are only so strict to prevent people thinking it's okay to leave warm bottles sitting on windowsills for hours etc...

9. goonergirl2009

Thank you all so much for all your advice! You have been really helpful!
    x