1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Steps to becoming a teacher

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by introspective, Jan 3, 2011.

1. @font-face {
    font-family: "Times New Roman";
    }@font-face {
    font-family: "Wingdings";
    }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0cm 0cm 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p { margin-right: 0cm; margin-left: 0cm; font-size: 10pt; font-family: Times; }table.MsoNormalTable { font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: SectionMy boyfriend has decided that he would like to pursue a
    career in primary teaching. He is 27 and has worked for the last 10 years in
    the media industry. He had quite a challenging childhood and left school with
    just GCSEs (main ones being C in English and E in Maths). He is very capable
    and the poor grades are due his experiences rather than ability. He has
    asked me to help him discover entry routes into teaching. Although being a
    teacher myself, I pursued the degree/PGCE option so I never looked into any
    other ways of getting into teaching and I guess there will be lots of experts
    on here!

What options would be available for him? Would he have to
    re-sit his GCSEs or are there foundation courses out there that would give him
    the option to apply straight to university? Would he have to sit A Levels?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Introspective :)

2. I would have thought he would at least need a C in his maths and science GCSE to teach primary level.

3. Teaching is, as I am sure you know, a graduate profession, so he will need to get a degree (or equivalent) before he can start teacher training, unless he does a 4 year B.Ed course at a university. So, he will need whatever qualifications universities are asking for in order to get a place on a degree course. Given his age, it might be worth approaching one or two to see what their requirements for 'mature students' are - sometimes they don't ask for high 'A' level qualifications. Or he could do a degree with the Open University, which does not ask for any previous educational qualifications at all, and is a cheap way to get a degree. But get a degree he must!
    best wishes,
    OscartheCat