1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stepping down

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by cornflake, Jul 3, 2020.

1. cornflake

cornflake Senior commenter

Has anyone successfully managed the transition from HT to a different post e.g. to DHT/AHT or SENCO?
    How did you persuade the panel this was a positive move?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

With any slightly unusual move, you have to persuade first of all in your application, long before you get to a panel, that you are a Pilgrim, not a Refugee.

By this I mean that you need to show how the new job attracts you, and NOT why you no longer want the old one.

That's it in a nutshell.

Keep safe, everyone

Twitter @Theo_Griff

3. cornflake

Thank you. I do keep that mantra in my head, but feedback from applications and then interviews is that I'm too strategic for posts short of Headship. I'm not intending to come across like that... I'd be happy to step back!

4. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Hello cornflake, how are you? I have been so worried about you!

I am sorry about the feedback. To be honest, I think feedback is pretty useless anyway. I would have thought all staff in a schoo, should be strategic thinkers in some way!

I am glad your applications are turning into interviews. A while ago, I was advised to try to be a DHT in a very large school, as I had been a HT in a very small school. You have probably thought of that already.

I hope you are Okay.

TheoGriff likes this.
  5. cornflake

Hello my friend digoryvenn!
    I am okay - ish. I have had a few interviews for non teachery things, and withdrawn from some things too... including HT post (which was a really tough call to make, but...). Sometimes interviews have been on the same day (annoying) and sometimes the pre-interview tasks have been so ridiculous that I have felt unwilling to proceed. It has been a bit of an eye-opener to see how badly some recruitment processes are designed and implemented tbh! People seem to forget they are meant to be a 2 way process I think...
    However, in the background I'm working on 2 possible plan Bs... (well 3 if you count selling up and living in a campervan for a bit!)
    I hope you are well too - and that family are safe and healthy

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. digoryvenn

It is lovely to hear from you Cornflake! I have been so worried about you!

My interview experiences have been very similar to yours, so I know how you feel. I also found grave errors in safer recruitment procedures. Indeed, an eye-opener!

Yes, as well as can be! I have sent you a conversation.

I am glad you have been making plans. Keep strong.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Good to hear from you both @cornflake and @digoryvenn and that 'things are going as well as can be expected'.
    I do hope things can work out for you both.

digoryvenn likes this.
  8. digoryvenn

Thank you so much Lara.

Marshall's comments about not doing education for her MA, really helped and was a turning point for me.

There are so many lovely people here on TES, thinking of others and offering wise words of help and encouragement.

I will never come to terms with what happened to me but I can make plans and focus on music composition and study.

:) Thank you!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Sounds like a good plan for moving forward. :)

digoryvenn likes this.
  10. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

I never did it in my career, but a HT in a neighbouring school did. Promoted to HT position in 2006 following immediate retirement of the HT due to terminal illness, stepped down to DHT by December 2009. The role wasn’t right for them and they made this known to the interviewing panel. That’s what got them the job, the honesty!
    Fair to say, 11 years on almost, they have now left the education sector altogether.