1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stepping down from responsibility...?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by elilala, Apr 17, 2016.

1. elilala

elilala New commenter

I have been teaching for 11 years now and have only just moved to a new school last September after spending 10 years at my first school where I started as a NQT. I have worked my way up through internal promotions as a head of year etc. and also completed my AST qualification a few years ago. I left my old school for various reasons, I was deeply unhappy and felt I had been overlooked as the 'face didn't fit'. Now I find myself 8 months in to a new job as SENCo (2nd year in the role, did 1 year at old school) and in a similar situation that I am deeply unhappy again.
    I love teaching and my passion for my subject in the classroom carries on and I know it's not that I don't want to teach anymore but I don't want the extra responsibility. Being a HoY, SENCo even more so, has been incredibly challenging and I have learnt so much but I feel it has been at the detriment of my mental wellbeing so to speak. I have sacrificed a lot in my personal life and now have the realisation I am doing a job I do not want to do.

There is no scope to step down at my current school but my question would be am I mad to 'give up' 11 years of working my backside off to progress and apply for a classroom teacher post??? Any advice welcome.

Has anyone done this?

2. campervanfreedom

campervanfreedom New commenter

HI
    I did this after my husband just upped and left me. My whole life felt destroyed but I didn't want to go on long term sick. I relinquished my role and went to being a main scale teacher. I must admit it was amazing but after 18 months I am feeling a little frustrated and am looking for a new challenge. There are real positives and negatives so I suggest you do two columns and see which dominates.
    Good luck with your decision.

3. danpardoe

danpardoe New commenter

Hi

I went from being a standard classroom teacher to being a course leader (like a HoD) and then chose to go back to a standard classroom teacher.. Thankfully my workplace was accommodating in this.

It was one of the best professional decisions I've ever made. There is a lot of pressure to progress but I found that I was becoming worse and worse at actually teaching. I was also spending more time with spreadsheets, data and meetings than with students. I am now a much better teacher because I chose to give up the responsibility.

Health, family and friends are always more important than work.

Hope this helps,

Danny

4. voetsak1

voetsak1 New commenter

Hi

I get where you are at. I stepped down from HoD last year to classroom teacher.
    It was the right thing for me. I have a much better work life balance and feel more in control of my life. I had to move to a new school which at first was strange as I was at my previous school for 14 years.
    I don't miss middle management at all! In fact looking back I think I was a sucker to do all that extra work and hours for so little money.
    I now have time to enjoy my friends and family and even gone back to some hobbies.
    Seriously, life is for living, and I had forgotten that. This year had been an eye opener for. I thought the decrease in salary would be tough but it hasn't really been that bad.

Hood that helps

BubsyChicken likes this.