1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stepping down from PT post

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by chocolatecheesecake, Feb 22, 2016.

1. chocolatecheesecake

chocolatecheesecake New commenter

Hi,
    I have been the principal teacher at my school for over 10 years. It is a challenging post and I have direct responsibility for a number of staff in one department. I have been thinking about resigning from the PT position for approx 18 months. I think about it daily. I am finding the workload impossible. I all find the responsibility weighs heavy on me.
    Anyway, I am basically looking for any advice, from people in a similar position or from someone who has actually resigned. I don't know what happens if I do resign. My boss thinks I will still be employed as a class teacher by the local authority if I do this. I don't even know who to contact about it!
    Hope someone can advise me.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You say PT. Does this mean that you are in Scotland?

Makes a difference.

Best wishes

3. chocolatecheesecake

Yes, I am in Scotland.

4. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You are essentially resigning your employment with the LA. There is no guarantee that you would be employed as a class teacher. Some schools will try to negotiate this for you but unless someone internally is appointed as new PT then you are creating a surplus in your department and at the moment there's not a lot of flexibility for salaries. Even if you did get kept on as a teacher, you are employed by the LA not the school so even if they keep you as a teacher it might be in a different school.

Speak to your LA HR department. The payroll contact on your payslip should point you in the right direction if you can't find the information elsewhere.

5. chocolatecheesecake

Thank you for your reply. It was very helpful. I will contact the HR people. I don't mind moving to another school and would be happy if that was a possibility.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Helpful answer from @Flere-Imsaho , who knows everything about North of the Border!

Best wishes

7. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

Just to add to the good advice above, I think that it will depend on your circumstances too. Are you wishing to negotiate a demotion due to the stress caused by the job for example? This happened at my mum's school recently and the person was demoted at their request, temporarily at first. They had been off sick before thiat though so that might make a difference too. Hope it all works out for you!

8. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Ha ha! Not everything ;)

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Bet you know about the Battle of Prestonpans (Outlander Book 2). @Flere-Imsaho !

;)

Best wishes

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  10. chocolatecheesecake

Thanks for the reply. Good to know it may be a possibility. I have not been off but have spoken to my boss. A referral to occupational health may help me too. Although I have not done that yet, it may be my next step.