1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stepping Down from HoD

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by cork227, Apr 23, 2018.

1. cork227

cork227 New commenter

Just looking for advice, I've been HoD for just over three years but have decided it's no longer for me and I would be happier being a classroom teacher again. I'm considering applying for jobs in other schools as a teacher. How will this look in applications? Will schools be reluctant to hire someone who's stepping down from HoD (worried I might be seen as either not up to HoD job or as someone who lacks ambition/looking for an easy ride, which isn't the case). Would be grateful for any advice.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    JL48 and barca fc like this.
  2. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

A former HoD of mine (my NQT mentor in fact) is now a normal classroom teacher again at a different school, having been an Assistant Principal in the intervening years - so it's clearly possible.

If I was looking for a new member of my department (which I'm not) and a CV came in from a current or former HoD I'd definitely want to short-list them for interview.... but maybe that's just me.

Good luck.

JL48 and barca fc like this.
  3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

several in my school - SLT to HoD, HoD to classteacher etc. Just perhaps make it clear in application/interview reasons why, without being too negative about the role.

4. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

One of my colleagues moved to classroom teaching after having been a successful Head - she simply missed being in the classroom and teaching the children too much to continue in an admin role.

Expressing the positive reasons for changing in your application will show your competence! It always astonishes me that so many consider career 'progression' in teaching to be moving into roles where you actually have less to do with the children and more to do with running a business!!

5. Mrs Grumpy

Mrs Grumpy New commenter

Agree with Schmedz - face the situation head on, explain - in a positive way - why you want a different role.

6. shafaqat70_sa

shafaqat70_sa New commenter

Just be honest in the application, work life balance, enjoy teaching etc. Do not be too negative about your current school

7. LoopyLew

LoopyLew New commenter

I actually "stepped down" and stayed at my current school... it was a bit unsure for a while, as they said it could only happen IF they could recruit a new HOD from existing staff... which they luckily did. I stepped down due to getting cancer and I was unsure of my future, BUT I did know I couldn't deal with THAT and give my best at school. As it turned out I was ill quite a lot on and off for three years and it ended in a hysterectomy... which has worked! I think if you have valid (not too negative) reasons, it's actually quite a popular thing to do... certainly prevents (er... delays) burnout! Good luck.

8. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

Been there, done that. At the interview, the Head mentioned the reasons I gave for stepping down as a HoD only to say that she could certainly see my reasons and was grateful for my honesty and self-reflection.

9. strugglingHoD

strugglingHoD New commenter

sometimes its maybe not the job, but the situation. I'm in the same boat, and i'm thinking that joining a school as a class teacher then building up to HoD gives you the time to settle in, make the contacts, understand the school and then look at what is required for HoD.

I walked in cold to this job and had to lay down some stuff quickly to fix the problems, wasn't easy but took 3 years. i'm tired now and looking to go back to class teacher because i can't keep up the 60/70 hour weeks(empowering staff is my challenge). I figure by finding a school i want and working up from class teacher, i can build up the relationships in the school before moving up.

10. strugglingHoD

strugglingHoD New commenter

having said what i said, went for an interview today and i'm just too expensive!(everything was very good, but went for a different direction)

trying to fall back into a class teacher role in another school is tricky, but i'm hopeful....

agathamorse likes this.
  11. veritasescu

veritasescu New commenter

you will find that job but will have to keep looking. Independent schools hire more experienced staff but I'm not sure if that is your think...

12. averagedan

averagedan Occasional commenter

Depends on what the school is looking for, I've known of/been in situations where we've had several NQTs in our science department and deliberately went looking for some experienced staff and employed an Ex-HoD.

It also depends on your subject - right now if you're a physics, maths or chemistry teacher you can walk into a job if you show even vague signs of life!