1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stepping down from HoD

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by juxta, Nov 1, 2017.

1. juxta

juxta New commenter

Hi all,

I'm not one to post on here much but just wanted some advice about stepping down from a Head of English role back into a non-TLR teaching role. I have been HoD for a number of years now and loved it at first. But over the last few years I have become disillusioned with being blamed for whole school results, being held to account every week for the progress, or lack of, being made by every single student and being asked to reinvent the wheel every year despite having an outstanding and supportive department who don't get the results they deserve due to whole school issues. I love teaching and actually my happiest days are when I have full day and can ignore the constant stream of emails, data requests and student updates.

Whilst it may sound like my mind is made up there is obviously the issue of money and losing £12500 a year with a young family to support.

I just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience and how they dealt with it. I also wonder how much can realistically be made by doing lunch time duties and exam marking (I am well aware that I won't make back anywhere near my TLR amount this way!).

Any advice or experiences that people could share would be greatly appreciated.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. wanet

wanet Star commenter

If there is no one else who will take over, then you will probably need to resign after getting a job elsewhere. Making up the money is unlikely to be possible.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

wanet likes this.
  4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Hmmm. Bear with me. Consider going up rather than down. The higher up you go, the less work there is. I will get shot for saying that, but it is true. What generates work is teaching hours. The HOD role is a stupid 20 hours a week role which you get about 4hours to do. But once you go up to AHT and DHT they are still 20 hour a week roles but you lose more teaching hours. And I much preferred being able to do leadership properly with ethics and integrity.

Or take a role in another school. Can you imagine being a HOD with the old HOD still in your dept? It would be an awful job.

5. tiredzzz

tiredzzz New commenter

I am about to embark on the same thing. The blame culture and the passive-aggressive management at my school are making me seriously ill. Bearing in mind the 40% tax, I'm expecting to be around £400 a month worse off. Well worth it, if my Head agrees....

pepper5 likes this.
  6. teselectronic

teselectronic Occasional commenter

It takes both courage and professionalism to even consider relinquishing your position!

pepper5 likes this.
  7. lynne33

lynne33 New commenter

I'm an English hod and I know what exactly what you mean. That said, in the past i worked pt mpr and found it very annoying to be flooded by initiatives from the hod at the time. Have you thought about private tutoring to make up the money?

pepper5 likes this.