1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stepping down from a TLR

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nick909, Sep 11, 2010.

1. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Without going into too many specifics, I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a standard, formalised procedure for 'stepping down' (for want of a better term) from a TLR back to MPS/UPS teacher or if it's something that is purely down to a head's/governors' discretion.
    The reason being, to be slightly specific I suppose: a change of circumstances and priorities, namely raising a family in the not too distant future.
    Does anyone know if this having been done? This is of course a speculative enquiry, no approaches to head etc. have been made as yet.

2. I stepped down from TLR this year- I put it in writing to the Head with a brief explanation why. I also wrote that I felt that as I would no longer be able to give it 100% I felt it was for the best of the school if I stepped down and someone else who could give it the appropriate attention to have it. There was no problems and they stopped the TLR payment from this month.
    They can not stop you from stepping down unless you were specifically hired to to that role in which case you will need to discuss it with the Head and come to a compromise agreement.
    Good Luck, stepping down was the best thing I ever did- feel so much happier and one week in I can see a muich bnetter work life balance emerging.

3. no one

no one New commenter

This issue has been raised before on the pay and conditions forum. The advice given there differs from Sparky1985's. It may be worth posting your query there.
    My understanding is that the TLR is attached to your post and that it is not just a case of stepping down from it.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

This is something that has never been entirely clear, unfortunately, and so you'll need to approach the matter with your school.
    My personal interpretation of the rules is that once you are appointed to a post which has a TLR payment attached, the only way to relinquish that post and its attached payment is to resign. Of course, in many schools, were such a resignation offered on those grounds, a management team would try to retain the teacher and offer someone else the post. But you have to imagine the wider implications of this.
    What if no-one else in the school is competent to take on the role? It wouldn't be reasonable to expect the management team to pay for a new replacement, and continue to pay its existing teaching staff.
    That said, in many cases, you would know of someone else in the department or on the staff who would make a suitable replacement. If your Head agrees, then they may well agree to your relinquishing the responsibility subject to another person taking it on within the staff.

5. no one

no one New commenter

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Many thanks for your replies, I'd expected them to be along those lines.
    As I said, pure speculation at the moment anyway, lots of options to consider.

7. thekillers

thekillers Occasional commenter

Amen!
    I found that stepping down from a TLR post was a positive experience.
    Now, I'm focusing on hobbies and interests, as well as gaining a better work-life balance. Sometimes, the extra money is not worth much, compared to your health.
    Best thing to do: speak to the headteacher calmly, and not become overly emotional.

8. FriedEggs

FriedEggs New commenter

I had a similar issue, where I felt that the work being asked of me was greater than the responsibility outlined in the job description when I was appointed. I asked the head if I could step down, and she replied (a few days later) that I would have to write a letter to the governors, and she was confident that they would turn down my request. I said that if they did, I would have to insist that the TLR was as the job description. Then we negotiated a more reasonable workload.
    So no, you can't 'give it back' without resigning, but you should be able to explore the options with your head, and with the head of governors if that's not successful.

9. thekillers

thekillers Occasional commenter

So, what happened?