1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Stepped Approach to poor behaviour in class (Secondary School)

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by cosup123, Jan 10, 2019.

1. cosup123

cosup123 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I have just completed my third month as a cover supervisor and so far so good.

However I am really interested to know how you deal with poor behaviour or persistent rule breaking in your classroom?

Do you implement a stepped approach? If so is it effective? How many warnings would you give a student before escalating the issue? Is it consistent with all staff at your school? Does it have any real impact with the students? Is there an improvement the next time you teach them?

Also if you are in a supporting role, are you able to issue a detention or do you have to refer it to teacher/head of department and so on?

Any info you could give me would be brilliant!

Many Thanks
    :)

2. sarah_dann1

sarah_dann1 Occasional commenter TES Behaviour peer advisor

Hello there,

Congratulations on completing your first term as a cover supervisor. Good to hear it is going well.

Most schools will have a stepped approach. What behaviour policy have you been given? It is important to try to follow the school's procedure (assuming they have a decent one!) to give you consistency and support.

In my experience, the general terms for dealing with low level behaviour issues often fit with the two strikes and you're out idea, although they may use different methods such as:
    - Warn, move, remove
    - name on board, tick, out
    - green, amber, red

For more serious behaviour problems, more immediate sanctions will be appropriate.

Most schools have a flow chart listing specific behaviours in different categories and the sanctions that follow.

For example, talking in class might mean a warning, then moving chairs within the room and then removal from the classroom if it continues. This may then lead to a lunch time detention. If it is attended, the incident is closed. If it isn't attended, an after school detention may follow.

As a permanent member of support staff, you should expect to have access to this flowchart and to be able to set detentions/remove students from the room with the usual consequences etc. Such consistency should be a real positive for employing cover supervisors in the first place. If you do not have these options, I would recommend speaking to your line manager and getting clear instructions about what policy they expect you to follow and how to implement those sanctions and who you can ask to follow up on poor behaviour when you need support.

Here are some other threads you may wish to look at too:
    https://community.tes.com/threads/behaviour-policy-blues.775484/#post-12560391

https://community.tes.com/threads/behaviour-policies-what-works-what-doesnt.777422/#post-12555383

https://community.tes.com/threads/behaviour.766352/#post-12373369

cosup123 likes this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

one

yes if you follow it up, if everybody does the same, and if you are backed up by SMT - no if not

cosup123 and pepper5 like this.
  4. cosup123

cosup123 New commenter