1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Step up to Social Work anyone?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by supply slave, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Has anyone applied for this scheme and if so have you any idea on the timescale when those unsuccessful on the first round will be notified?

2. Has anyone applied for this scheme and if so have you any idea on the timescale when those unsuccessful on the first round will be notified?

3. crusell

crusell New commenter

There was a previous post on this. I think that they are many qualified social workers out of work at the moment -1 in 4 ? I think if you can get on it you get a £15,000 bursary. I tried filling the form in, but was put off as it was so long winded, after visiting the social care forums and hearing the problems of social workers trying get work I decided to give it a miss.

4. I think that a qualification in social work is about as useful as one in teaching; as I understand it, there are as many SWs out of work as there are teachers.

5. I am a supply teacher and did apply for Step Up. They say we will be notified by the end of this month (like, within the next two weeks) if we were unsuccessful in the first round. Best to you!
    This programme is about more than the credential, because it is specifically meant to address staffing needs in the local authorities. While there is no guarantee of employment following completion, the expectation is that those completing the course will continue in that local authority. Hope this is helpful!