1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

step children? Anyone got them?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moggycat, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Just curious. I do, and get on well with them but I have no one to talk about or compare stories with as all my friends are with men without those kind of "complications" lol

2. i don't have them but I am (was) one,.. and a cheeky and annoying one at that. I do hope you 'find' someone to talk too, although on the whole my experience was ok, I know my stepparent found it tough going at times.

3. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I do too. Just the one, he's older and doing very well at Uni.

4. I have 2, not offcial step-children as we aren't married, but as good as. They are little (4 and 6), with different mothers. Yes, it's complicated! But I love them massively, unfotunately don't get to spend as much time with them as we would like to but looking forward to some good family time in the holidays. I don't always find it easy, but know that I am lucky to have known them from an early age, rather then meeting them for the first time when they are at Kevin the teenager stage!

5. Ditto, and while my sister and I did not always get along with our stepmum, this was mainly due to the circumstances in which her and my father got together and the lasting effect it had on our mother, as opposed to simply her status as stepmother.
    She died of breast cancer last September, aged only 44 and leaving behind my 14 year old half sister and 20 year old half brother, as well as my sister and I - 23 and 24 respectively..
    We don't remember her as our 'stepmother' as such - just our second mum, who we fought with bitterly but who we loved and loved us fiercely.
    Whenever asked how many children she had, she always replied '4', without qualification or explanation of the details. I think that says a lot for how families have changed, and yet how simple seemingly complicated family relationships can be, if you choose.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I did type out a lengthy reply to this but it disappeared before I got to press 'send' [​IMG]
    Anyway, to summarise I have stepchildren. 2 adults (30 and 31 who live away from home) and 2 children (11 next Monday and 9). My own are 20 and 21 and away at university.
    TBH I'd rather not have the younger ones. They are my husband's second family and he is old enough to be their grandad. They are lovely children but I'd still rather not have youngsters around any more. Mine are grown up and left home. I love seeing them, but love it when they go back!
    Call me an old grouch if you like, but at my age I want my life back, not to be approaching the teenage years again!

7. Do the younger ones live with you Belle?

8. BelleDuJour

They are with us every other weekend and every Monday and Tuesday. Just under half the time. When I first met OH he had them 24/7.....he has full custody and agreed at a later stage to let Mum have them some of the time.
    I apologise if it makes me look like a selfish old witch, but at least I'm honest. I'm not really 'into' kids (I know, I am a teacher [​IMG] so I work with them) and I much prefer mine now they are adults. I am no longer accepting of the 'restrictions youngsters put you under. Been there, done that etc.The thing is, OH is really too old to have youngsters around. He cares for them very well in terms oftheir physical needs, and he loves them to bits, but he rarely does anything with them and never plays with them. We do take them swimming, bowling etc and do family things but it's at my insistence. He'd rather not bother!
    God help hime when puberty strikes! I shall giggle to myself....quietly! I suspect he'll send them to their mother's until they grow out of it!

9. No need to apologise Belle! I much prefer mine now they are adults and the just the thought of having to cope with small children again makes me want to reach for a bottle!
    At least at my time of life that is exceedingly unlikely - unless I meet ,no......ain't going to happen.

10. BelleDuJour

I never was a 'wheels on the bus/macaroni necklace' kind of Mum with my own and I'm sure not going to be one with somebody else's! [​IMG]

11. I don't have any children, step or otherwise, but I do have a stepfather and a stepmother as well as 3 stepbrothers, 2 stepsisters and a half sister who is just a toddler.