1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Step back... notice and pay?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by jellylegs11, Dec 18, 2019.

1. jellylegs11

jellylegs11 New commenter

I've had enough today and want to go in tomorrow and step back from my position on SLT to normal class teacher role. I'm senco too as part of my role.

It's killing me as I'm applying for headships and have come so close on two occasions recently but I feel i must step down... which i know will have implications on future applications but some things to me are more important. I don't want to go into the 'ins and outs' however I'm wondering if anyone knows -when you write a letter to 'step down' is it with immediate effect or do you have to have some sort of notice?
    Also paywise... I know I'll take a drop which I'm willing to do but do I go back to UPS3 that I was on when I started there?
    Many thanks in advance
    Heart hearted!

2. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Is it even possible to 'step down'?
    I thought you could only resign from your entire job.

install and harsh-but-fair like this.
  3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

If you want to stay in the same school you will need to negotiate. Is there a potential successor on the staff? If so an exchange might be possible. Otherwise you might need to find work elsewhere.

4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

You can't give up any role without the HT's permission so before any further advice can be given, have that conversation.
    If you drop to UPS, you will not notice much of a difference between your SLT role and the expectations you'll have placed upon you. I know several people will jump in at this point and sat that UPS teachers should just be teachers and not have additional responsibilities but in the real world they do.

If you are thinking of headship but also thinking of walking away from leadership, it sounds like something about your current job isn't right, so would a fresh start as whatever you are now but in a different school make more sense?

install, JohnJCazorla, Flanks and 3 others like this.
  5. flyingcircusfreak

flyingcircusfreak New commenter

A member of SLT who doesn’t know about notice periods? And doesn’t understand their old job isn’t just left there for them to go back to? This is either a wind up or very worrying...

6. HolyMahogany

HolyMahogany Occasional commenter

You want to go back to your previous post at this school? hasn't this been filled by someone else when you were promoted?
    I have worked at schools where people have stepped down from promoted posts, it is really something you need to negotiate with the HT. If you go in and resign from your SLT job then you are resigning from the school, and the full notice period will apply. Some HT's will be sympathetic and will be willing to try and accommodate your wishes, you will know if this HT is someone who is likely to work with you on this, but if they have to recruit your replacement externally then can they afford to employ a new person and keep you on the pay role as well? good luck, book an appointment with the HT, don't make any sudden decisions, explain your situation and see what they say.

install likes this.
  7. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 Occasional commenter

We have had, in the past, members of SLT who have resigned their leadership position and maintained their class teacher r role. This was mutually agreeable though both to the person wanting to come off SLT and the headteacher. I think that’s the key... is there someone in the wings who could take on your leadership responsibilities?
    Just think carefully about it though because if you want a headship, stepping down would impact on that. If you’re just a leader in the wrong school so to speak... ride it out and keep looking for that exit.

install, phlogiston and HolyMahogany like this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Definitely don't do this before the Christmas break.
    From your other posts, you moved from year 6 to nursery this year...that's a huge step and by the end of this term, you will utterly exhausted; mentally and emotionally, as well as physically. Of course, you've had enough at this point in the term. I had had enough and it's my second year in nursery and we finished last week!

If you are a member of SLT, senior enough to be applying for headships and senco, then you presumably aren't in class full time. Therefore there isn't a full time classteacher post to go back to and probably not too many people sitting about wanting either the senco or SLT part of your role. If you are ready for headship, then stepping all the way back to classteacher will just frustrate you, and certainly won't solve whatever problems are in causing you this stress.

Please try to keep going for just a couple more days and then have a good break away from it all.
    Things always look brighter in January and it's peak season for headship and independent school adverts. In just a couple of months, you could well be very excited about a whole new post.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'll be honest-if your current situation leaves you wondering what to do and you cannot be proactive and creative in finding the answer in-house, then how can you contemplate an actual headship, where you will have to consider decisions of this import on a regular basis? In fact there could be several junctures over the year when other staff would come to you with similar questions, perhaps a few staff at once if the school is big. The difference in those cases is that it is your job to know the answers or at least make legitimate suggestions.
    You should not be applying for Headship without knowing how to support staff correctly in their career plans.

Back to your question-speak to your HT, they will advise in the most useful way.

IanG and phlogiston like this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

You aren't entitled to resign just the SLT part of your job. You can't unilaterally decide to change your job from SLT to class teacher. You are only entitled to resign your whole job and leave the school.

But if the head agrees most things are possible so you need to sit down with the head and discuss the issues and ask for a change of role. See what can be negotiated. It will always be easier to agree that if you can bring some solutions as well, who could take over your existing roles.

11. FriarLawrence

FriarLawrence Occasional commenter

I too "stepped back". Or rather, *was* stepped back by my HT after a mental health breakdown (apparently the only ethics my boss is familiar with is a county jutht northeast of London. They wanted me to stay as a teacher, and so I was offered a UPS contract, or unemployment - I took the UPS. I have children to feed.

So it does happen, but you need to understand that the power is all in the hands of the HT, who must agree to your being employed under an entirely new contract, or at minimum an agreed letter varying your existing contract (which amounts to the same thing).

If they want to retain you as a teacher, they'll do this. If they're not fussed, your options are to resign outright or remain in current post.

install and JohnJCazorla like this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

Unless it is the head causing the problems!

I've known people step back from SLT because they found the head impossible to work with.

notreallyme75 and jellylegs11 like this.
  13. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well that's true, in fact even likely, but that does not really make any difference-they still need to have that conversation as it is only the HT who knows the answer. Most of what OP wants to know boils down to negotiables, which by definition means interacting with the other party involved.
    The opening post implied that we would or could possibly know the answer,when actually each school divvies out responsibilities and remunerates differently.All steered by the HT. Or higher if eg academy chain.
    Or should I say "higher".

14. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Almost certainly neither a wind up and not particularly worrying.

I think you would be surprised how many senior leaders, particularly in primary schools, are not as knowledgeable as you might think on matters of process. They don't have time to be and don't have a layer of administration/hr/management to feed in to the knowledge either.

They are good teachers and good people who stepped up to try and help other teachers, their days are filled with pupils and teaching and about eleventy billion different statutory responsibilities and conversations with local authorities and parents that they take on so that their teachers have time to each.

15. jellylegs11

I have asked for this post to be deleted but it hasn't yet. Some people have jumped to conclusions about me which I feel are unfair. I am more than capable to become a head and I am shocked by some.of the replies! It is due to issues that I do not want to discuss on here that I want to step down. I have come to the conclusion today that in doing so I will jeopardise my future applications so I'm going to have to keep going and hold my head high and face the issues even if it breaks me.
    I just wanted support and advice not rude comments that make me feel worse and already awful situation.
    Admin I would still like this post deleted if you can. I have sent two emails regarding this.

16. jellylegs11

Thank you! I have decided to just step back and have christmas break to reflect. I just think I got to breaking point yesterday but need to bounce back when I'm fresh from a break

Much appreciated @caterpillartobutterfly

I hope you have a restful break too.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. install

install Star commenter

Not sure you can merely 'step down'. The job is the job and the role is the role. So you need to tread very carefully. You seem in a state of panic tbh and I would be concerned that you have somehow messed up in some way and are fearful of those consequences.

Were you to step down to UPS3 anyway the school may well say 'No'. And how would they find space/money to replace your role ? In effect they would have to pay out more in salaries (to replace your role and to pay you on UPS3 in your new role). Schools in general do not deals whereby their employees dictate the pay and roles.

I think you should approach this from a different angle. Take time off. See your GP. It may well be that your GP says you are I'll. And then take it from there. That will give you time to really absorb what exactly is going on.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
  18. jellylegs11

And another jumping to conclusions...I have neither made a mistake or am I ill!

I have morals and vision and passion.
    That's all!

This forum used to be so supportive not judgemental! School has enough politics to contend with!
    There lies my final post!

19. install

install Star commenter

And your bosses may well jump to conclusions too if you are not being open with them. And they would have to consider why the full.reason for wishing to step down is not being revealed. Afterall they have a duty of care. Support in my experience is always suitably provided when things are out in the open. Schools in my experience do not like to be held to ransom and deserve honesty if someone wishes to step down and to also dictate their starting salary.

Personal morals are fine and well, but honesty with your bosses goes further in my experience. I hope this goes well for you either way. You could phone your Union who may help you more rather than a public forum.

20. caterpillartobutterfly

In general, the forum is supportive.
    Occasionally some posts can come across as judgemental.
    Occasionally a thread starter reads judgements and criticism where none was meant.
    Very, very occasionally people are nasty and judgemental.
    That's the nature of internet forums.

Having a thread deleted because some people question the OP's motives or abilities would mean there were very few threads left!

IanG, agathamorse and Flanks like this.