1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

STEM presentation

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by rkeating11, May 4, 2019.

1. rkeating11

rkeating11 New commenter

I'm after a little advice, I've been shortlisted for a job. I've had the teaching observation but now I have to prepare a 5 minute presentation of how to develop STEM. Any advise of what I should include? I've done the basics of my co-ordinator role, pupil voice, broad and balanced curriculum, lots of creative, thought provoking questions to engage pupils. I'm just unsure if I'm on the right track. Help please?

2. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Just some thoughts
    1. Is stem being done as extra curricular or as a unified group of subjects?

2.How are you going to encourage staff to come on board with a concept which many view as creating extra work? I'd have that one ready for the Q & A following the presentation.

3. In what way will the cross curricular teaching approach be achieved if your planning to join the subjects together or will the subjects be discreet?

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Primary or Secondary?

4. rkeating11

rkeating11 New commenter

Its a primary position but from what the head as said she's wants STEM incorporated throughout the discrete subjects.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Research what STEM teaching and learning means...
    What you've posted so far, seem to be generalised great teaching, more than STEM specific.

We have some kind of accreditation thing for STEM teaching, so you could mention working to that if you research it a bit first.

6. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

You would need to look at the Sol and sow for each subject possibly map them to a series of topics which can be explored from the five perspectives of steam.

To avoid a lot of extra work for staff it might be possible to give each topic a context which can be broadly followed. This would take time and be introduced incrementally. This would allow for evaluation and modification and staff feedback (which would be vital as you need them onside if you want to do more than just lip service) as they need to feel ownership.

I would suggest a timeframe of two years essentially try to bring some stem topics in the first year then more in the second year and by the third year complete stem.

I may be talking rubbish its just a rambling suggestion.

7. rkeating11

rkeating11 New commenter

Thank you so much for your advice, a lot of the information online is very American based. I've been Science Co-ordinator for a lot of years and try to incorporate as much Maths and technology into each other subject. I think I'm trying to hard to over analyse the presentation.