1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

STEM in Australia

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by HappyPixie, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Hiya,
    Wondered if anyone knew if ICT/Computer Science was considered a Secondary STEM subject in Australia or not? (Technically it should - the clue is in the name of both ways of saying it, but what they actually consider and what actually is can be two different things!).
    Am researching the possiblity of trying to go over there on a PR visa, but only STEM Secondary teachers are eligble, and I'm waiting for an answer from various Gov people over there, but not having much luck (along the lines of 'just apply and you will find out' - great but I don't want to blow several thousand pounds on it all to find out we're not eligble!).
    Cheers in advance :)

2. Hiya,
    Wondered if anyone knew if ICT/Computer Science was considered a Secondary STEM subject in Australia or not? (Technically it should - the clue is in the name of both ways of saying it, but what they actually consider and what actually is can be two different things!).
    Am researching the possiblity of trying to go over there on a PR visa, but only STEM Secondary teachers are eligble, and I'm waiting for an answer from various Gov people over there, but not having much luck (along the lines of 'just apply and you will find out' - great but I don't want to blow several thousand pounds on it all to find out we're not eligble!).
    Cheers in advance :)

3. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

No idea what a "secondary STEM subject is".

4. LOL - from google STEM is Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths, so these subjects taught in a secondary setting. But it seems what various different places actually term a subject belonging to these diciplines is very different. ie in one place Technology only covers Wood work and metal work, so don't know what various places in Australia might consider to be a tech subject. (does that make a bit more sense? :S )
    I know the ACT do consider ICT a Tech subject, and therefore can apply for SS for there, but would prefer Vic or SA really.

5. In terms of getting work. The ACT has a shortage of teachers and give out a fair number of permanent positions each year. Victoria doesn't have a serious shortage or more to the point the shorrtages are in the rural and remote areas you could end up 600km from anywhere. South Australia is quite low paid and again only has a shortage in rural and remote areas not in Adelaide itself. Canberra is an over grown country town but it does have easy access to both Sydney and Melbourne, the coast and the ski fields.
    ICT will not be in the National Curriculum it's not even being discussed at this point so you need to move fast.

6. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

7. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I'm sorry Phie but how on earth can a National Curriculum for the 21st century not include IT. ACARA are actually calling for experts at the moment to write the Technology curriculum.

8. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

You don't need a computer to sheer sheep and cuts their balls off. Is there anything else they do in OZ that might need a computer? [​IMG]

9. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Well actually yes. I use a computer to view and marvel at the work of idiots.

10. I stand corrected. But my point still remains. I suspect schools will be hesitant to recruit or sponsor overseas teachers while this is being sorted out. Just an opinion
    Technology is only in the begining of the shape stage. It is a third? phase subject. The question will be how long it takes to roll out the curriculum once it is written and how long the writing process takes. There is a huge discrepancy between schools and states in regards to ICT provision now. It will be take time to ensure all school have the resources to deliver the new curriculum, ie I have 3 less computers than students in my ICT class. NSW may have to accept that it will not get the same level of curriculum as it currently has. Many small schools struggle to deliver that number and depth of course. Granted the schools of the air (distance ed) do a fantastic job providing extra teaching support
    There is also the issue of rural assess which is likely to reek havoc on the introduction of the curriculum. There are very few rural schools acting as trial schools for the curriculum. Therefore, feedback on this issue may not be passed on which will delay how the curriculum is delievered in the field.

11. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I don't think any of the states will be taking a backward step in the quality of course or resources to what they are currently used to. The National Curriculum will be in the pipeline for a long time and I would lay odds that it will not be implemented in the course of my career.Too much **** to hit the fan and then clear I reckon.

12. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I must admit thought that the silence of the unions both state and national is somewhat unnerving.

13. Whoops! Sorry to open a can of worms [​IMG] I only wanted to know if I could get a visa lol!
    I know the situation with regards to jobs (I think) and to be honest, I might not even go back to full time teaching ever - its really just to get the visa (and seeing as there is no requirement on the visa we are looking at to work in the nominated profession, that isn't an issue). I am no longer a secondary school teacher, so wouldn't be looking for a full time perm position in this area definately - relief is really the way we want to go for a while at any rate whilst we sort out where exactly we want to live etc (and to have a bit of a working holiday whilst not bankrupting ourselves!).
    I'm also very resiliant to the whole 'you won't get a job' - whilst I'm not overly c*cky in this respect, I was told I would never get a job in either SEN schooling or Primary in the UK as I was a Secondary trained and experienced teacher - I didn't find it too difficult to find a perm job in both areas (despite a little uncalled for fretting), my thoughts being, if you are very flexible and any good (without being big headed I have been told I am both, my last observation came back Outstanding again (I know how to BS you see)) you will find some sort of paid for teaching work - which suits me just fine :)
    Thanks for all the input, especially Yasimum, that could prove quite helpful if things don't fall my way lol.
    Cheers, HP

14. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Oh there is plenty of work around if you are happy with casual work, even long term contracts but permanent work is hard to come by in urban areas. The whole systme just works differently to the UK although it is changing. Temp contracts (this is NSW) are just as good though if you don't have a mortgage. Same benefits including LSL and sick leave and you can say bye, bye too if the situation doesn't suit you. The only reason I would go back on a permanent basis is because of superannuation.

15. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Actually, what I meant to say was that they are just as good except if you are trying to GET a mortgage.

16. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

The problem here too is there is no consistency. Principals will manipulate the system to get what they want and so one never quite knows if a job is going to be filled from the list, by interview open to all or by interview of the first five people whose codes match so just be careful of any info being given to you that implies that anything is set in stone. There is so much wheeling and dealing between schools and staffing that noone knows for sure what is happening.

17. Came back to post as on reflection I thought I'd come across as rather arrogant and too big for my boots (really didn't mean it to sound like that, blooming internet and no tone), to see a rather lovely and happy post, thank you Yasimum! [​IMG] Have made me a happy pixie indeed - we aren't that bothered at getting a mortgage - owning a home is something we will never be able to do here in the UK, so if it doesn't happen in Australia, its not a huge issue (and it means we don't have to pay rates or probably water standing charges, woohoo lol), if we ever do its a bonus. Knowing that relief teaching is a very real option (at least in NSW) is a hurrah point - I believe teaching even at its worse is better paid that shop work (not that we wouldn't do that, obviously the more money when setting yourself up is a good thing though).
    Being totally disillusioned with pensions, I'm overly cynical and pessimistic about that as well, so if you don't get that on relief teaching I won't stress (we will worry about that down the line), the sick leave is a very very good news point indeed though (every little helps! :D)
    Teaching will just be a stop gap whilst we sort out our new lives down under I think, so its all good news imho, thank you for your input :)
    Oh, and the point someone made about SA having pants salary (sorry can't remember who it was and TES won't let you look back whilst writing a reply)? The lists I've found for recent salary information says a beginning teacher would be on $50K, I reckon with my experience it would be about $55 - 60K and it rises from there - I can't see how this is a pants salary! (But then, we have very low expectations in life lol, and from doing the costings in Australia, still leaves a TON of money every fortnight from that sort of single wage). From that, are the other states miles better? (I haven't looked into other states salary ranges, as we are currently focussing on SA).
    Many thanks again to all
    HP

18. Methinks this is rather the same the world over nowadays though Yasimum - its whether people are realists or have rose tinted specs imho....

19. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Yes indeed. It is just that moving overseas is a big step and I want to know every last detail before I take the plunge, yet it is hard to give a definitive answer about jobs here because of the inconsistency.
    I'm not saying that you couldn't get a mortgage with a temp contract but the banks would want confirmation from your employer in writing telling them that you this job for X amount of years.
    Salaries tend to be in line with cost of living. NSW is the highest so if you live in a less expensive rural area where accommodation costs are lower then you are laughing. No city weighting like in London for example.
    SA is cheaper generally than Sydney and so the salary for that state is probably in line with the cost of living. Adelaide is a nice city and although I haven't really looked into it in the last couple of years or so, the last I heard was that both SA, NT and ACT had fairly active recruiting campaigns.
    If I could stand the heat (which I can't, Sydney in Feb/March is enough to have me raving like a lunatic) I would live in Darwin. It is a great city, vibrant, young and multi-cultural.

20. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

HappyPixie,

Do you really expect us to go to Google to find out what people asking for help mean?

Subjects are combined, un-combined, classified, re-classified, categorised, re- categorised at different times in different ways in different jurisdictions; e.g., history and geography used to be buried in a mess called SOSE (Google can help!!!) in Vicotira. They were re-instated as separate subjects five years ago, but some schools still have not realised this. NSW had the good sense not to combine them in the first place. There is no STEM category for years prep to 10. There is something like it for VCE. ICT was part of technology in my last school. The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority will have current details.