1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Steamed sticky toffee pudding recipe

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by rosaespanola, Jan 21, 2012.

1. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I've become a bit obsessed with making steamed puddings, after my first attempt at one recently was a roaring success - my friends have enthusiastically suggested that I try another one for a dinner my friend is doing tonight. Sticky toffee pudding has been strongly hinted at ("I love sticky toffee pudding, don't you? I haven't had it for AGES", one of them said, unsubtly).
    None of my recipe books has a recipe for steamed sticky toffee pudding, they're all just baked in the oven, and I've found a few online but it'd be nicer if I could use a tried, tested and recommended recipe from someone who knows it definitely turns out well. Any suggestions?
    PS. If anyone has a recipe for a sticky toffee pudding that involves bananas, that'd be even better, since a debate was raging over sticky toffee pudding vs some kind of banana pudding. I was thinking of just chopping up some bananas into whatever recipe I make, but if there's one that's actually meant to have bananas in it, that'd be great!

2. Jamie Oliver has a great syrup one that can be done in the microwave and is superb. You would need to have a search online as I cant remember which book it came from. Had it at a friend's and she wrote out the recipe for me and it's a bit too lengthy to post. Good luck

You could do some bananas caramelised with rum to sauce it up?

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

This is a thread with a lot of different versions on it but there is a steamed version a bit down the page which is very good. They use dried apricots but I stick with the classic dates - I don't puree them either. I just chop them up after they have been soaked.
    http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=37373.0

4. rosaespanola

I don't have a microwave unfortunately, but I like the banana & rum idea!
    I'll check out the recipes on that thread and see what I think, thanks.

5. rosaespanola

This is the recipe I ended up using, and it was a great success. We were all in a sort of sugar coma for a bit though, it was VERY sweet.
    I made a few changes - I used dates instead of apricots and didn't use two basins for it, I did it in one 2L basin and it worked out fine. It served 8 people, any more would have been pushing it unless people only wanted small portions. I also kept about a third of the topping aside and put that out for people to pour over the icecream I served with it.
    Sticky Toffee Pudding - steamed version

Serves 8 - 10 people.

6 oz dried apricots
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    10 fl oz boiling water
    2 oz butter
    4 oz caster sugar
    2 oz vanilla sugar*
    1 egg, beaten
    8 oz self-raising flour

Topping:
    8 oz dark muscovado sugar
    5 oz butter
    6 tbs double cream

Place
    the topping ingredients in a saucepan and stir over a gentle heat to
    melt the butter and dis-solve the sugar. Boil for 3 minutes then divide
    between two pudding basins. (capacity 1½ Eng-lish pints = 30 fl oz)

Combine
    the apricots, bicarb of soda and water in a food processor. Leave to
    soak about 10 minutes then process till almost smooth. Leave to cool.

Cream
    the butter and sugar till light and fluffy then beat in the egg. Sift
    on the flour and fold in gently. Stir the apricot mixture in to make a
    batter and divide between the two pudding bowls.

Cover each with
    foil and secure tightly with string. Place the bowls on a trivet in a
    large pan and surround with hot water to come half way up. Cover the
    pan and steam the puddings for 1½ hours, checking every 20 minutes to
    top up the water.

Remove the foil and turn the puddings out onto serving plates. Serve sliced in wedges with cream.

*Add
    1 - 2 vanilla pods to a jar of sugar and store two to three weeks
    before using. The pods will last for some time with changes of sugar.
    Alternatively use plain sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla essence.

6. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

That steamed recipe look great, but I always make a baked one in a square tin. I then leave it to cool (can do this the day before).
    When ready to serve I cut the edges off then cut the pud into squares and warm through gently in the microwave. The microwave seems to render the pud nice and soft and fluffy, like it would be if steamed. This saves lots of time if you're cooking for a dinner or lunch party.
    I serve with the toffee sauce poured over, a scoop of homemade rum ice cream and some slices of friend, caramelised banana. So very yummy.