1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Steam cleaning

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Dec 16, 2015.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Hows it supposed to work...bought a new steamer as advised but dont seem to work very well unless you scrub it with one of the little brushes.
    Decided to do around the cooker as thats where the grease was.ugh its steamed ok but need a twirly thing on the end and the grease sort of sat there and you had to wipe it off.
    i thought the steam took the grease out so it moved down the tiles a bit like water blasting? In the end went back to cilit bang which worked just as well on cupboard surfaces.
    On the cooker the steamer worked ok but i suspect im doing something wrong.and gone through loads of paper towels wiping up the excess water on the work tops and walls.
    Just wondering if i need to order in rolls of paper if i do the floor with the steamer

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I like the idea of steam cleaning - but can't often work out where the dirt goes. If there's nothing to remove the dirt it will stay there, albeit warmer and damper.

3. oldsomeman

well so far on the tiles it was wiped off with a cloth

4. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I can't think about steam cleaning without Gwyneth Paltrow coming to mind...

Spiritwalkerness and InkyP like this.
  5. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Is she very dirty?

Lascarina likes this.
  6. oldsomeman

i am puzzled.it said it was a wonderful machine....i did discover other attachments in the box i hadnt seem.....but it made no difference.If you use the swirly things to clean the muck then they get all manky.without them,on a bare tube, you get it moved then it sort of re-sticks itself. the water dribbles down or as i was doing something my glasses all steamed up.not very useful to see through the steam cloud.
    I put it on high power for some bits and the tank emptied very fast and when i needed to turn off the hand held part you had to unload the thingy tank of your shoulder and switch off.....
    Oh the joys of being/doing cleaning.

7. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Take it back?

8. oldsomeman

no i have a few more days to practice....bathroom is next then finally the wood laminate

9. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

We're you using a steam jet?
    I've never experienced what you describe. Have you got quite a lot of greasy build up or something? When I use my steam jet attachment any dirt just seems to vapourise and I just wipe the moisture away.

10. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

The dirt doesnt evaporate it does need wiping I have a huge great steam cleaner and some of the attachments have a little towelling cloth that goes on the end to pick up the dirt. I think the idea is that it leaves things deodorised and hygienically clean but doesn't really remove stains; although it can brighten carpets and rugs. I steam then if there is dust or dirt I wipe it off so it looks all nice and shiney. It's not easy by any means but is thorough. Not something I do every day (that would be OCD) or even every week... more monthly or before Christmas and Easter. Like Paltro perhaps I'm just filthy lol

11. Dunteachin

No, no. I'm not saying Gwynnie is filthy; she's an avocado of vaginal steam cleaning. I don't think she uses Oldy's gadget, though.

racroesus likes this.
  12. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Where does the avocado come into it?

ninenotes likes this.
  13. ninenotes

Are you meant to put a cleaning solution in it?
    [​IMG]

Dunteachin likes this.
  14. Dunteachin

Ha. Advocate. But I like avocado better.

15. Dunteachin

Surely you've all read about it?
    You get the same effect if you just lower yourself into a hot bath, I think.

16. ninenotes

If it was hot enough to steam clean your bits it would burn your feet off.

racroesus likes this.
  17. oldsomeman

Listen i cant dump my kitchen in a bath because it cleans woman;s bits in so doing....besides im not sure my kitchen is trans gender.it might complain.

18. Dunteachin

I know, nine notes. You could hang your legs over both sides, though, and hover.
    No, I think GP used some sort of birthing stool.

19. ninenotes

20. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

Be careful with laminate and steam. We have two different types - cheap and hideously expensive. The cheap stuff warped following the steam clean. The expensive stuff was much hardier

needabreak likes this.